We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clovis, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

I'd like to get the most of our time in Juneau. I would prefer not to book a ship sponsored excursion. What do you recommend, I would like to see whales and Mendenhall.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Check out Harv & Marv whale watching tours. They leave from Auke Bay (near the ferry terminal) about 14 miles from where the cruise ships dock. However, they will pick you up from downtown in their shuttle. In order to coincide with your docking time (and allowing for disembarking time) you could take their 1.30 pm trip. At the end of your time on the water (about 31/2 hours), they will drop you off at the Mendenhall glacier. However, they only allow you 20mins. approx. so if you want to stay longer/hike the trail, you may have to get a taxi back to your ship.

As you get off the ship, on the left hand side just before you come to the Mount Roberts Tramway ticket office, you will also see a row of tour operators in their kiosks all offering similar trips.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

If your ship hits, well, goes, to Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay, I'd suggest skipping Mendenhall and instead check out some other Juneau attractions - DIPAC, Last Chance Mine Museum, etc...

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Thank you for your helpful information.

Mexico, New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Captain Jack aboard the Scania is by far the most amazing guy to go whale watching. He picked us up personally from the cruise ship and took us out for 4 hours. We saw over 30 whales and we only had 4 people on the boat which was very personable. I highly recommend them and it's very cheap to have your own captain and not being cramped with 150 other people.

his website is www.whale-watch.biz

Santa Rosa
Level Contributor
3 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Just got back from a cruise on August 4th. In Juneau we booked a kayaking trip at Mendenhall Glacier through BeyondAlaska. It was fabulous! We were the only ones on the lake. (We had a group of 10. They do all sizes.) It was VERY safe, and the lake sits at the foot of the glacier, so you can get very close. Closer than if you just take one of those sightseeing trips to the lodge. Their prices are reasonable, and they provide all the gear you need plus a snack. They are extremely helpful and nice, and will pick you up and drop you off at your cruise ship dock. You will probably see whales while on your cruise, as long as you spend time outside on your ship. Also, opportunities to see whales abound in all the ports you will visit. No other port has the opportunity to get so close to a glacier. Go to their web site: www.beyondalaska.com to find out about their various trips. They are less expensive than the cruise line trips.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Just a correction, there is no lodge at Mendenhall Glacier.......I think Wildwood meant the Visitors' Center..........

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

Seconded.

The kayak tour of the lake is cool. You could also just charter a taxi for a couple of hours to take you around town and sightsee. As DiverDown said, Tracy Arm is awesome and you have the chance to kill two birds with one stone there, see a glacier and potentially see whales. Of course, you might not want to spend all day on a boat just having gotten off one, but still....

8. Re: Cruise ship docks on 9/8 at noon.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 06:17