We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendenhall Glacier

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mendenhall Glacier

We have about 8 hours in Juneau when our cruise ship docks and would like to go to the Mendenhall Glacier. Our ship arrives around 12 noon and leaves 8pm. The cruise ship excursions are ridiculously expensive and we have heard about bus trips that only cost $16 return to the glacier. Do these buses - and are they blue or white - have proper seats to sit in ( I have a bad back) or are they the school bus variety? Do people recommend having a look around Juneau first then getting the bus to the glacier or going there first. What time do the shops in Juneau close? And finally (!) what time is the last bus leaving from Mendenhall glacier back to the port area? Thanks.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

G'dy lrb (where have I heard those initials before?)

I attach a link to the Mighty Great Trips (MGT) website where about half way down the page you will see the blue bus and details of their times. It is certainly not a luxury coach that is used, but neither is it a traditional Nth American school bus. I also have a bad back and experienced no discomfort either way.

AFAIK the shops stay open so long as there is a ship at the dock.

Due to the 6pm last bus from Mendenhall I would do that first as you then have plenty of time in Juneau.

http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/

Edited: 06 August 2012, 11:03
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

Forgot to mention, the trip is only about 20 minutes.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

You may want to also consider taking a taxi out to the glacier instead of the bus. It is a little more expensive (about $35 each way), but that's not per person, rather per trip, so if you get a bunch of people it could be less expensive. Also has the benefit of being able to return when you'd like, even if it is past 6pm. Just write down the number for the cab to call one out when you want to head back to the ship. Or, some will book tours for a straight fee per hour and wait for you at the glacier as well as taking you to see other sites.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 19:40
The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

The day of our trip to Mendenhall Glacier, there was so much fog it was hard to see anything. As our bus was pulling away, the fog cleared and I got the clearest photo from the back window of the bus. LOL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

Thnx for everyone's advice! Blue bus it is....

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

A warning.... If it's a Monday, all 4 ships arrive between noon and 2 p.m., and both of the budget busses are very crowded. They do not sell reserved tickets, and I have often seen folks standing on the $8 busses. Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone would put up with that.

If you have 6 or 7 passengers, a taxi is actually cheaper.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

We took the blue bus last year and paid the $16 round trip ticket/person. After we got on the bus, we were talking to some other tourists, and they told us that they only paid $10 RT for theirs. So bargain! There are so many bus companies there at the dock vying for your business that you can bargain if it's not a busy day.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

So you can pay a small fortune on airline tickets and cruise ships only to bargain with the little guys trying to make a living ???......

new jersey
Level Contributor
337 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

The buses are fine and it is a short ride. There are 'stands' set up when you get off the boat so you can get the tickets then.

The shops stay open so you will have plenty of time to do that too.

Check out the website that Frommy mentioned..

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mendenhall Glacier

JuneauCabbie,

In regards to you comment,"A warning.... If it's a Monday, all 4 ships arrive between noon and 2 p.m., and both of the budget busses are very crowded. They do not sell reserved tickets, and I have often seen folks standing on the $8 busses. Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone would put up with that.

If you have 6 or 7 passengers, a taxi is actually cheaper." I was wondering would it be cheaper for 8 passengers in a taxi or the blue bus? How much?