We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, California
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

We are booking our cruise for August 2013 and would like to do a dog sled tour -- On snow/ice with dogs and a real sled. Not a dirt path in a cart with wheels. I have seen both types offered. Can anyone recommend a good one? As I see it, there are only really 2 options -- Godwin Glacier and that other one. ;)

Anyone have an update since the last thread on this site?

Thanks.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

If your cruise ports in Skagway......there is a dog sled tour that is on top of a glacier......it should be one of your cruise excursions.....pricey, because you need to take a helicopter to the top of the mountain, but my neighbor has done it twice and raves about it.......she almost took a summer job over there, living on the mountain and cooking for the guides and dogs !!.....she found a summer job right here in Haines instead, but still when she talks about it, there is a certain sparkle in her eyes........

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

Yeah, either the folks going from Skagway are going to the same place as the people in Juneau or there are three places doing it. Just understand that it's the most canceled tour. The weather in the mountains does not make for great flying and they go with safety first.

Not sure if you can, but if you really have your heart set on it, I'd look into seeing if there was an option of trying for a second attempt if the first chance got canceled.

seward
Level Contributor
363 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

I do not know when and where your cruise is going. But, in MHO the best dog sled tour is at Girdwood. The Seaveys run a top notch outfit and the partner runs first rate Helios. www.ididaride.com/tours/glacier-dog-sledding The views are great also!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

Here's an older post, but the info should still be valid. My guess is that either of these would be a better bet weather-wise of actually getting to go than the ones in the Southeast:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60873-i1361-k3388…

5. Re: Dog Sled Tours in Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 07:17