We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

I will be on a cruise with 3 others in Juneau on September 8th. I've been reading that Steep Creek is a good area to go to for possible bear sightings at this time of year. My questions are:

1 - do you agree?

2 - if we're not touring the Glacier, is Steep Creek still a nice area to walk around?

3 - Is it literally a steep hike? We will have 2 seniors with us?

4 - without visiting the Glacier and not having a car what is the best way to get to Steep Creek from the cruise ship. Are there tours, cab, etc?

Thanks!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

fs.fed.us/r10/…steep_creek.htm

No the trail is not steep at all......don't know why it is called that......it is a relatively easy trail, much of it on boardwalk , there will be black bears there that time of year, feeding on the salmon......

Easiest way to get there would be to take one of the blue MGT buses that run from the docks to Mendenhall glacier every half hour........$16 pp round trip......Or to hire a cab by the hour for your own private tour.........

Or you may want to rent a car for the entire time you are in Juneau and see a lot more sights........September can get blustery and rainy, so having a car to duck into might really come in handy......

Southern California
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated! Yes, I was in Juneau in September last time and it poured the entire day. The suggestion about the bus and the car is great. We will discuss and see what sounds best. Would you say a visit to the Shrine of St. Therese would be worth it?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

The Shrine is very spiritual also has wonderful views and lots of nice flowers, definitely worth a stop, even if the weather is icky, walk on out to the chapel.........

Another nice place to stop near there is Eagle Beach, a great place for a picnic.........

4. Re: Getting to Steep Creek, Juneau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:18