We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

Hi,

I am booked on the 9.50am departure for the first week of September but am looking to change it to the earlier 6.50am departure so that we have more time to spend in Juneau and at the glacier following our excursion.

Before I change it, I wanted to know whether there was much difference in whale sightings at different times of day? I.e. are you likely to see more whales in the early morning or early afternoon, or does it not make a difference?

Thank you!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,913 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

Are you on a cruise ship? If so, disembarking to go an such an early whale watch would be very problematic. There would be little difference with different times of the day.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

I used to reply to this question that the whales weren't wearing their Swatch Watches and didn't know what time it was at all... Seriously, humpback whales are in Alaska to EAT at the 24/7 all you can eat buffet...

Book whatever whale watching time best fits your schedule of other touring and sights you'd like to see.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

What time does your cruise ship dock?

>>Are you on a cruise ship? If so, disembarking to go an such an early whale watch would be very problematic.

I am not sure I agree with frommy on this one. If a ship docks later in the day, the lines to get off can be long and those with ship-sponsored excursions are allowed off first. But with the very early dockings, I have found that I get off right away. Most people are still wasting time on board eating or whatever.

If it were me I would take the earlier tour so you have a good chunk of time to spend afterward. Either that or head to Mendenhall on your own in advance and have Harv and Marvs pick you up there on the way to whale watching. My guess is that with a 9.50am departure you would "waste" the time beforehand, not using it wisely.

>>humpback whales are in Alaska to EAT at the 24/7 all you can eat buffet...

So Case are you saying that humpback whales are like cruise ship passengers?!?

Edited: 24 June 2013, 15:00
North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

Ha! That's an old Red Dog joke...

Q: Where's the best place to whale watch?

A: The midnight buffet on the cruise ship!

- Case

5. Re: Harv & Marv's Whale Watching - which departure time is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:21