We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zipline questions?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Zipline questions?

I understand there are two companies operating zipline tours out of Juneau now. Can anyone give me a comparison- would you recommend one over the other? If my husband was over the weight limit and couldn't go, would there be things for him to see and/or do while I am zipping, or would he be bored to death? Thanks for any input you might have- I did this while on vacation in St. Maarten and just loved the experience and was hoping to do it again in Alaska!

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zipline questions?

Are you sure it's two out of Juneau? I've only seen one, and another in Ketchikan. I just did that one last week, and it was great! A lot of fun on the zips and bridges amid wonderful scenery, and bald eagles everywhere.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zipline questions?

Just did a google search and found this website that gives info and links to all the zipline tours in Alaska... Hope this will help others interested in this adventure! http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=25

Detroit
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Zipline questions?

There are two zip lines in Juneau - Alaska Canopy Adventures (www.alaskacanopyadventures.com) and Alaska Zipline Adventures (www.alaskazip.com). The Alaska Canopy Adventure begins with a Jet Boat ride to the site. From there, clients are outfitted and driven to the top of the tour and 6x6 vehicles. The zip lines wind there way down the mountainside through lush forest and over the remains of the Douglass Gold Mine. The tour provides outstanding views of the mine with elevations between 40' and 200' feet and includes zip lines, bridges, and a rappel. The Alaska Zipline Adventure is located on the hillside of a local ski resort and provides breath taking views of the area. Both tours were professionally designed and engineered. I personally preffered the Alaska Canopy Adventure tour. Beautiful views and lots of history. Alaska Canopy Adventure also has a tour in Ketchikan... it provides bigs views, long zips, and views of bears and bald eagles. There is another tour in Ketchikan, I forget the name...

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zipline questions?

There's a bit of a comparison between the two here: www.cancancase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16

Also, check with the vendor directly regarding the weight limit. I have a feeling neither would be too exciting for anyone not zipping or crossing the suspension bridges. Juneau (especially if you're on a cruise) is VERY easy to do separate tours in. Your husband might enjoy fishing for salmon, having a drink at the Red Dog Saloon, flying in a helicopter, or visiting Glacier Gardens while you're off zipping... Whenever people have different interests (either chosen or by forces beyond their control) I rarely hesitate to suggest separate excursions. Then you'll have some interesting dinner conversation while you each live the others' day vicariously.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zipline questions?

would they offer the ziplining in may?

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zipline questions?

@mollyireland-

I suspect most of the excursion vendors in Juneau will be up and running in May... for sure by the middle of the month or so. Our fist ship visit is on April 30 this year.

I know Alaska Canopy Adventures's trips are sold aboard many ships, so they should be up and running right away. A few other types of excursion (Tracy Arm, whale watching, etc.) have a few (very few) operators who aren't ready to go at the very beginning of the season, and some of the dog-sled camps have to break down in late August or early September due to lack of snow. I don't see any reason why the ziplines would have to cut their season "short", however.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Hacienda Heights, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zipline questions?

My cruise offers zipling in Juneau and Ketchikan..any recommendations?

thanks

8. Re: Zipline questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 07:34