We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks trip in august

Vasto, Italy
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three weeks trip in august

Hi, I'm writing you from Italy and I'm thinking about a three weeks trip in Alaska. Me and my wifes spent every summer in the United States National Parks becouse we love its so much, we like to hike and viewing and photographing wildlife and panoramas. Our dream is to have a trip in Alaska but we have a couple of friends with the same dream thata cannot come with us next summer so I will travel with them on a classic Alaska tour in the next years, Mat-su, Kenai, Katmai, Denali, wrangell St Elias so I would focus next year trip to the Panhandle zone

I'd like to spend some days in juneau hiking, suggestion for best hikes are welcome, then whale watching in Point Adolphus I thing is a must like a trip to Wrangelle and Ketchinkan for Misty Fjords. We are thinking to go in hains, driving to haines Junction and visiting Kluane and going to Skagway too. White pass railroad could be anothe roption

I think three weeks is a good time to do that and I'd like to receive suggestons from you to manage my trip in the best way. For example I'm very interested in bear viewing, I know Anan Creek it's a good option there but id there are some places where to see them without taking a plane ore spanding more than 600 dollars could be a good idea. i read about Hyder platform but is too far away from our trip, I read something about Sheep Creek in Juneau on the Lonely Planet, someone know it?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english

11. Re: Three weeks trip in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 01:05
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Three weeks trip in august

Welcome to the forum Geoff, but both of your posts violate Tripadvisor's forum rules......you cannot promote your own business, but you are certainly welcome to provide answers to traveler's questions based upon your experiences.......just not to promote your own business.....

13. Re: Three weeks trip in august

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 14:05
Bainbridge Island
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Three weeks trip in august

Thank you I am new and just learning the rules.

Vasto, Italy
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Three weeks trip in august

Hi, I studied in last weeks and this is the itinerary I tought:

02 agosto: italia-seattle, night in a motel near the airport

03 agosto: flight seattle-ketchikan (6:55-8:06 am)

04 agosto: ketchikan

05 agosto: ketchikan

(misty fjords boat tour and hikes, settlers cove recreation site)

06 agosto: flight ketchikan-wrangell (8:56-9:42 am)

07 agosto: wrangell

08 agosto:wrangell

(leconte glacier boat tour and hikes)

09 agosto: flight wrangell-juneau (10:22 am-12:10 pm)

10 agosto: juneau

11 agosto: juneau

12 agosto: juneau

(bear viewing in pack creek, hikes at mendenhall glacier and surraounds like steep creek, other hikes)

13 agosto: ferry juneau-haines (7:00-11:30 am)

14 agosto: haines

(hiking and searching for bears and bald eagles in haines)

15 agosto: haines-haines junction

16 agosto: haines jct-skagway

17 agosto: skagway (white pass and yukon route railroad)

18 agosto: ferry skagway-juneau (15:00-21:30 pm) in the morning tour of skagway

19 agosto: flight juneau-gustavus (16:17-16:44 pm) ok it's a fuXXing schedule but is the only one that day and there is no ferry as alternative

20 agosto: gustavus

21 agosto: gustavus

22 agosto: flight gustavus-seattle (17:24-23:24 pm with stop at juneau)

(at the day of arrive i have short time so i think about a tour of beaches, the other two full days and the half day of the departure for seattle i'm thinking about whale watchng in point adolphus, glacier bay boat tour and hikes at bartlett cove)

23 agosto: flight seattle-italia

what do you think about?

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Three weeks trip in august

One thing you should consider is renting one of the cabins here that you can hike to from the road system. There are several US Forest Service cabins that are on those Juneau trails in your trail guide. See …usda.gov/recarea/… for booking info. You should try to book them early because weekends are often booked way in advance by local users. Weekdays are often available, though.

In addition to the USFS cabins, there are cabins in Point Bridget State Park: I recommend the Blue Mussel cabin. See dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/south.htm#ptbridg

That's the way to see the real Alaska!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Three weeks trip in august

Check out my friend Art's trail & kayaking blog at http://northwestexplorerblog.blogspot.com/

Juneau, Alaska...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Three weeks trip in august

All above are good ideas, as a lifelong Juneau Resident, (3rd generation), I would recomend a couple things, West Glacier Trail, the Shrine of St. Therese, the Ice Caves and definately take the time to view the whales. There are many ways to do all of the above on a budget.

19. Re: Three weeks trip in august

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:16