We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracy Arm

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dorr
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tracy Arm

If your boat does not offer a tour to Tracy Arm is there private tour companies that have this offered?

boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tracy Arm

I haven't taken this tour yet but plan on booking it for August.

http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

Dorr
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tracy Arm

Thanks I will check it out!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tracy Arm

Be aware that the Adventure Bound boats leave the harbor very early. I've taken some very rushed folks from their ship to the Adventure Bound office with just a few minutes to spare! Check your ship arrival time and remember that it often takes at least half an hour after docking to disembark.

Is your ship going to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay?

Placerville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tracy Arm

I took this trip last summer; we were on our own prior to heading to a salmon lodge for a week of fishing. We were on our own, so had freedom 'timewise' and could control when we awoke, drove down to dock, etc. I think we arrived at Adv Bound office @700-715am to pay balance; the boat picks you up a short distance away (a 10 min walk) down the loading dock. Depending on which boat you are on (they have 2), depends on what time you will depart. We took the tour on Labor Day (Sept 2), so it was a U.S. holiday and end of tourist season. There were maybe only 12 of us; we had entire boat to ourselves. There are 2 galleys inside to sit; they have hot chocolate/soda/lunches to purchase. Most of us brought our own food/drink/snacks. Weather was foggy but cleared after an hour heading South (takes about 2 hrs to reach the entrance to Tracy Arm). Weather was perfectly clear remainder of day and scenery and icebergs were beautiful heading in. Our guide was very knowledgeable (he was also the owner) and pointed out a young black bear on the cliff on the way in; we stopped and took some pictures then the bear moved off. Alas, the mountain goats were WAY to high up on the cliffs to be seen by us. There were some seals and their pups on the ice floes by the glacier. The glacier itself is gorgeous; the deep blue of the ice is magical. Alas, we had very very little calving while we cruised in front of it. Even the guide was surprised it was so quiet. They took us to the other glacier on the way out (not a normal part of tour) so we could hopefully see more calving, but alas, very very little happening there. Our trip home was quiet but i would admit that i think most of us were very disappointed that we didn't see ice calving off the face of the glaciers... The crew was good, the experiece still beautiful, but i would say I did leave disappointed in not experiencing what i had hoped would be a highlight of my trip. Then again, it was just Mother Nature being fickle. Would I do it again? Probably. I did double and triple check my reservations directly w/ the tour office, per advice i picked up from this Forum. I do recommend bringing your own snacks/drinks/lunch, a good camera and warm jacket/hat/gloves in case the weather is rainy or cold. Happy Trails and I wish you a lovely tour!

Dorr
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tracy Arm

Thanks, and Yes to both

City of Angels, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tracy Arm

I noticed that the Adventure Bound boats leave early, actually our ship arrives @9AM, so we will miss that tour. Our HAL cruise goes through Inside Passage, but does not mention Tracy Arm. Also we are cruising @ Glacier Bay for a day. Would it be worth to try to get a tour to Tracy Arm? Our ship arrives 9AM in Juneau and leaves @10PM.

I would appreciate all advice.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,552 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tracy Arm

Have a look at Allen Marine and see if they might have a trip that fits.

City of Angels, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tracy Arm

Thanks Frommy. I will check out Allen Marine, and send them an email to find out about schedules and fares.

9. Re: Tracy Arm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:15