We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry

We will be flying into Juneau in early July for four nights, then on to other parts of Alaska....We are not "cruise-boat people" but would enjoy an overnight trip on a boat along the inside passage or whatever it's called from Juneau to Seward or thereabouts.....are there ferry services that offer decent overnight trips that might be a better option than just flying to Anchorage?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry

How much time do you have in total for your Alaskan vacation? WE - couple, family? A few more details please. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry

The ferry from Juneau to Whittier is nothing special and takes more than an overnight - 2 nights in fact. Plus, it only goes every two weeks so what are your exact dates?

I would think that spending your 4 nights in Juneau and vicinity then fly to Anchorage and continue your trip from there. I think you will see more that way. For example, you could spend a night or two in Haines (take the ferry from Juneau to Haines). You can rent a car and explore the area, even driving into the Yukon along the Haines Highway (if you have passports).

In Juneau you could take a Tracy Arm day trip or a 1/2 day (3-4 hours) whale watching tour.

I think the above options will give you a lot more for your money and time than spending 2 nights/3 days on the ferry.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry

I like FTI's idea of ferrying to Haines.....

Other ideas would be to ferry to Sitka, or Gustavus/Glacier Bay......or if you wanted a longer ferry ride, maybe from Juneau south to Bellingham, Washington....or in reverse so that you could fly onto Anchorage.....that would be a 3 day cruise.... http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

It all depends on how much time you will have and what your interests are.....

Post back with specific questions as your planning progresses and you will get lots of help here.....

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry

And, AMHS no longer serves Seward. When we took the Tustumrna (in 1994) it sailed from Valdez to Seward, and the ferry terminal was located downtown where the Sea Life Center now occupies.

The present services include the Cross Gulf trip from Juneau (really Bellingham) on the Kennicott to Whittier, then on to Kodiak and Homer (and more than an overnight trip too). This is actually a replacement for the Homer to Kodiak services when the Tustumena sails for Dutch Harbor. There is no comparison to the Inside Passage services as these two are ocean going vessels and often encounter some pretty rough weather conditions

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry

Thanks for your insight...all good to know

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry

Thanks...your reply has been helpful...I like the idea of a trip from Juneau to Haines....would that require us going back to Juneau to fly out to Fairbanks, or will there be some reasonable cost plane service from Haines to our next destination...I assume trying to drive from Haines to Fairbanks, then down to Anchorage would be too much time in an automobile to make the trip efficient time wise. We will have ten days between Juneau and a tour that we begin on July 21...it's John Hall's National Parks tour....So we'll see the parks on that tour...but we want to spend some time on our own in and around Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Homer or Seward (or both). Finally, at the end of the trip, my wife will be flying home and I am looking for a lodge that would cater to a single fly fisherman...so many I've seen only offer double or triple rooms, and I'm not going to have a buddy along on this trip. My fishing window is basically Aug 2-6 or 7....I want to fly fish for rainbows and salmon. Any suggestions there appreciated, (and, I do appreciate that this is not the forum topic for fishing information.) Thanks again for your help.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry

You would need to fly from Juneau, Sitka or Gustavus to Fairbanks or Anchorage (Alaska Airlines)......

You can fly from Haines to Gustavus or Juneau on Wings of Alaska......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry

Most who arrive at Haines via ferry have a vehicle and continue on into the interior of Alaska. But, the expense of a rental car plus ferry costs would make this a very expensive situation. We have used the ferry system as both wallkon passengers and with our own car (never a rental car). Perhaps you should rethink towards two different visits to Alaska, such as fly into Anchorage and tour by rental vehicle; and return another time for the panhandle (Southeast Alaska) via walkon passengers on the ferries or a cruise. That's what I think and may not be that of others on the forum

9. Re: Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:24