We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

I am wanting to see the ice caves at the Mendenhall Glacier but worried about the hike there. Anyone gone there? Is it a scary hike??

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

Are you talking about going there on your own without a guide? That's not something I would recommend as the ice on a glacier isn't necessarily stable or safe. Understanding the ice and being on it daily is a huge help. I might go out on certain areas of one on my own (and have actually) but I'd never for in an ice cave without someone who knew what they were doing.

If you were talking about going with a guide, understand that it's a long hike- 6-7 hour day of walking and such. Not for the faint-hearted, especially since it looks like you get into the cave by rope.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

Welcome to the forum. You might want to check the first 2-3 pages of the forum, since someone else just asked this same question recently. I am 100% in agreement with alaskantiger. Not a good idea on your own.

Above and Beyond does the guided hike in Juneau and they are a very reputable company.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

no, not without a guide. My niece lives there and has been to the caves many times. I just wanted the opinion of a person that is a novice of how hard they thought it was. she says it only is a 4 hour round trip hike and isn't difficult. I definitely will play it by ear and if I feel uncomfortable I definitely wont do it.

4. Re: hiking to Mendenhall Glacier ice caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations