We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway Whale Watching

Haines, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Skagway Whale Watching

There are some posts on this forum that say that there is no whale watching in Skagway Alaska. It looks like there are now several options. Do a google search on "skagway whale watching" and you will find them...

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Adventures in Alaska
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

Welcome to the forums Bearstar......it is great to see a neighbor helping to advise travelers in our area.......

In all fairness though, whale watching from Skagway can be somewhat unpredictable.......I really wouldn't recommend a whale watching trip from there if that was the only purpose of the tour.......folks who are on a cruise would have better odds seeing whales from Juneau or Icy Straits..........

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

We always seem to have a few, incidental whales who wander up here and some even have Ben known to hang around for a few days, but a lot of times these will be killer whales who usually show up before the tourist season starts and are long gone before the first cruise ship arrives!

With that said, last summer there we're unite a few whales who did come here and hang around longer than usual.

Now I am certainly no expert on the behavior of our wandering behemoths of the bays of this area, but I am certainly aware of the usual group of wandering workers who show up here and what they see in their short time here becomes the reality from now on.......

Then there are those who run boats of various size who have now shown their clients a few whales, last summer, and now hope that with the reviews from last summer they may be able to make book on the hope that this may occur again.

I would almost make book that a one post wonder who posts on Juneau, re. Skagway with a Haines moniker,

Just might involve one of the latter....

Welcome to the forum, but you might try to study the rules and guidelines before making such transparencies?!

New York
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

Skagway is not a predicable area for whale watching. Juneau is superior with 100% sightings of humpbacks.

Yep, I have seen whales in the Lynn Canal, but not frequently.

Haines, Alaska
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

http://youtu.be/fUc4jP-9Wjc What a fantastic trip my husband & I and 5 of our friends took today with Alaska Fjordlines out of Haines, AK We took the Skagway Whale Watching tour! I took this slow motion video and caught double whale tails! Loved everything about this trip with Capt. George & his deckhand. 1st class operation. We saw Mountain goats, Eagles, porpoise, sea lions, waterfalls and whales! We saw at least seven whale today. Capt. George would pull the boat over immediately when one was spotted putting us in the best possible position to get the best whale pictures! An amazing day to say the least! We stopped at the Rookery twice to experience the tons of sea lions on the rocks with the young pups swimming right in front of us. Thank you Alaska Fjordlines for exceeding our expectations and providing Whale watching out of Skagway!

5. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 22:35
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

Welcome to the Alaska forum, but the previous two posts read more like advertisements (which are not allowed). At least Libby J referenced that she is involved with the business.

As budget queen mentioned, Juneau has a much higher chance of seeing whales. Most whale watching companies that offer "guarantees" do so because just seeing one whale tail suffices for such a guarantee. In fact, whale humpback sightings are 100% in Juneau with or without a guarantee.

Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

I doubt a Skagway tour company will offer any sighting guarantee.

Whale watching is a cooperative effort wherever you go. Success is measured by the number of boats out there as well as the likelihood of a whale presence. The guide boats will communicate with each other and ultimately congregate at the best sightings at any given time.

8. Re: Skagway Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now