Appreciate advice and suggestions from the great TA community on how to spend our day in port.
I'm travelling with my niece (13yo) and nephew (7yo) - we're booked on the Celebrity Century 7 day cruise out of Vancouver. We'll be in Thursday Juneau on July 10th between 7:30am and 8am.
My niece and nephew are interested in dogsledding and gold panning. We will have already gone whale watching when we were in Icy Straight Point.
Currently I have booked three excursions through the cruiseline:
1) Gold mining at 8-9:30am (90 minutes) 'Take a guided tour of Juneau and head to Gold Creek to search for your own fortune in the same place where Joe Juneau and Richard Harris struck gold in1880.'
2) Mount Roberts tram passes
3) Dogsledding adventure by helicopter at 1:45-4:30pm Dog sledding is on Norris Glacier.
My initial plan was to get up and go on the tour/gold mining, then hit the tram ride and a little hike at the top, then lunch, then cap off with the dogsledding and helicopter. Possibly a tram ride back up at the end of day.
1. General advice - are we missing a 'don't miss' with this plan? is it too much?
2. Any TA recommendations on goldmining options/tours? How touristy is the gold mining - I'm okay with touristy if its fun for kids. Is this something we could have a better experience if we went local vs through the cruiseline? Or could we go on our own and get a little later start so it's not such a long day.
3. Recommendations on where to grab lunch that's good for kids?
4. Anyone done the helicopter/dogsledding on Norris Glacier or through Celebrity? Is this as great as the reviews say?
5. Having read the posts about the Mt Roberts tram - I'm thinking I'll wait to buy tickets until we arrive and know the weather. Any downside to this?
Thanks in advance for the advice!