We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

Appreciate advice and suggestions from the great TA community on how to spend our day in port.

I'm travelling with my niece (13yo) and nephew (7yo) - we're booked on the Celebrity Century 7 day cruise out of Vancouver. We'll be in Thursday Juneau on July 10th between 7:30am and 8am.

My niece and nephew are interested in dogsledding and gold panning. We will have already gone whale watching when we were in Icy Straight Point.

Currently I have booked three excursions through the cruiseline:

1) Gold mining at 8-9:30am (90 minutes) 'Take a guided tour of Juneau and head to Gold Creek to search for your own fortune in the same place where Joe Juneau and Richard Harris struck gold in1880.'

2) Mount Roberts tram passes

3) Dogsledding adventure by helicopter at 1:45-4:30pm Dog sledding is on Norris Glacier.

My initial plan was to get up and go on the tour/gold mining, then hit the tram ride and a little hike at the top, then lunch, then cap off with the dogsledding and helicopter. Possibly a tram ride back up at the end of day.

Questions:

1. General advice - are we missing a 'don't miss' with this plan? is it too much?

2. Any TA recommendations on goldmining options/tours? How touristy is the gold mining - I'm okay with touristy if its fun for kids. Is this something we could have a better experience if we went local vs through the cruiseline? Or could we go on our own and get a little later start so it's not such a long day.

3. Recommendations on where to grab lunch that's good for kids?

4. Anyone done the helicopter/dogsledding on Norris Glacier or through Celebrity? Is this as great as the reviews say?

5. Having read the posts about the Mt Roberts tram - I'm thinking I'll wait to buy tickets until we arrive and know the weather. Any downside to this?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

I wouldn't miss Mendenhall Glacier or whale watching. You don't need to book either of these through the cruise line but do need to book whale watching asap.

I agree to wait on the tram until you get there.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

Thanks. We are going whale watching on another day when the ship is in Hoonah/Icy Straight Point.

How would you recommend fitting in Mendenhall Glacier? Is it appealing to kids? How much time would we plan to spend there?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

If your gold mine thing is that Underground Gold mine visit we did that couple of years ago and thought it informative. We booked it so not worry about any rain. As for the tram you can purchase your tickets at the base. Never had any problems. Now if you want something inexpensive spend your remaining time walking around to see the state capital, the Russian church, or just downtown.

4. Re: Advice on Juneau shore day and excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16