We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Excursion recommendation

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Excursion recommendation

We are going on a cruise in 5 days on Princess and the one stop that I am looking forward to most is Juneau. I love the whales and have seen them twice now in Maui and am looking forward to seeing them again next Saturday in Juneau (hopefully they'll be active). Anyway, I currently have a Whale watch and Mendhall Glacier Photo Safari tour booked thru Princess and it's quite pricy. After doing some last minute reviewing, I've found a couple of other options...Orca Enterprises and Harv and Marv's. The other thing that I liked about the Photo Safari tour is that is stops at Mendenhall Glacier and you get out and can walk around for a bit. I don't believe you do this on Harv and Marv's and I'm not sure about Orca Enterprises. Any suggestions on which of these tours to take? Should I just stick with what I already have booked or would one of these other tours get me to Mendenhall Glacier too and a superior whale watch trip too?

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
519 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Excursion recommendation

Both of the others will also stop at Mendenhall. With Orca, if you want to stay longer, they will give you a voucher for the city bus to take back. We saw the cruise ship offering while we were with Orca. People were 3 deep trying to get pics, while we were free to get great photos. Both H&M and orca spend much longer on the water. We were alo sailing with princess last year. Ifyou can book one of the others , do it! However, Don't cancel until you have a booking for sure. The smaller boats wih good reputations fill up fast, you may be too late. Last year around the same time of June, we were lucky enough to see a large group bubble feed 8 times. I know we were lucky, but good luck!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Excursion recommendation

Harv & Marv will drop you free of charge at Mendenhall Glacier and you can get the MGT Blue shuttle bus from the car park back to town for $10, but that stops running at 6pm. I understood Orca charged to drop off at Mendenhall and the city bus nearest stop is about 1 mile away from the glacier car park. As said by r0t0mu, both those operators are very popular and 6 people with H&M or 20 with Orca would be far better than 150 on the ship booked offerings.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Excursion recommendation

Thanks for your replies! The Photo Safari tour through Princess only had 12 people on it, but the time on the water appeared to be less than Orca or H&M. We decided to go with Orca. Got the 10:30am trip booked, so we actually get to sleep in a bit...like that's going to happen. LOL

Thanks for the tips and it's good to hear that both are very good companies to deal with.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Excursion recommendation

As a matter of interest, what was the price comparison between the Princess offering and Orca?

5. Re: Cruise Excursion recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17