We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Walk?

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to Walk?

Hubby and I will be arriving in Juneau in mid-July. We're staying at the Aspen Suites Hotel near the airport (0.5 miles away). We want to walk, but only if it's safe. Our flight in lands at 9:15 PM and our flight back leaves at 6:00 AM. I feel ridiculous paying a cab to take us 0.5 miles, but we'll obviously be tourists carrying luggage. Any advice?

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Juneau Tours
City Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Allen Marine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to Walk?

Many airport area hotels offer courtesy shuttle service

Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to Walk?

I don't see why you couldn't.

I don't think Aspen Suites offers a shuttle, but I'd call and ask.

What do you want to feel safe from? Crime? Bears? Getting hit by a car?

To me, the major downfall is the fact there will be no sidewalk along the route. As you walk away from the airport, you'll hit Yandukin Dr. The street probably won't be very busy that time of night, but all it has is a gravel shoulder and cars are frequent enough where you probably don't want to be walking on the blacktop. Once you hit Crest Street and Airport Blvd, there probably won't be any cars and you can just walk down the side of the road.

If you were a friend or family member, I'd print out directions and see what the weather looks like when you get there. If it is dusk and rainy, take a cab. Otherwise, if you watch for cars along Yandukin Dr, I think you'll be just fine.

Level Contributor
595 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to Walk?

The Aspen Suites is a 15 minute drive from downtown Juneau. They do not have a shuttle. The Best Western does. Both are by the airport.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 20:59
Level Contributor
595 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to Walk?

Sorry I thought you meant going from downtown. The Best Western is close and they do have a shuttle.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 21:03
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to Walk?

We often walk from the airport to the motels near the airport, sometimes even those which offer a shuttle.....It is an easy walk and definitely safe, even in late evening.......

6. Re: Safe to Walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17