We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View...
Level Contributor
295 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

We are in Juneau one day (12 hours) on our Alaskan Cruise next week. We will also be stopping in Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

I could choose to book our zipline tour through Princess and it would include a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier but it sure doesn't seem worth the additional $60 per person vs. booking our zipline direct, which wouldn't include the glacier.

So, my question is - Is Mendenhall Glacier worth the time given we will also be seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Would it be interesting for 2 young teens? How would you recommend we get there? How much would it cost?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

Taxi may be the cheapest for four. Worth seeing the glacier and the falls. You also have a good chance at seeing black bears especially if the salmon are running.

Juneau Alaska
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

Youch! $240 is steep. I live in Juneau and don't know much about the package tours but I see a blue school bus that goes between town and the glacier that's operated locally for a reasonable price. The Mendenhall Glacier has nice walking trails and a visitor center and if the fish are running, the most likely place in Juneau for tourists to see bears.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
295 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

Thanks Mayday, I agree with the $240 youch comment. I have read a bit more and I think that blue bus is $20 each way per person, so that is still $160 for our family. I will check out cabs when we finish our zipline adventure that day and see if that is cheaper for our family.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

The Blue Bus is $20 ROUND TRIP not each way, so $80.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

We were there two weeks ago and took the blue bus, $10 round trip since we rebooked our Glacier ride/dogsled with Era via a booth outside by the dock. Mendenhall glacier is beautiful and too bad it rained when we got there but still beautiful. We would have taking the trail if it wasn't raining. Glacier Bay was disappointing since mostly melted about 2.5 weeks ago. The glacier ride and dogsled was the highlight of our trip.

Ludlow...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

We were able to get $15 round trip tickets to Mendenhall Glacier from the dock area on June 7. We felt it was well worth the visit. We especially enjoyed the short hike to Nugget Falls. It is a beautiful spot next to the glacier and falls where we just relaxed and took pictures before heading back.

Ludlow...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

You might want to check out Juneau Sightseeing Tours at the link below. They are a husband and wife team and can provide taxi and/or tour services. We used them when we were in Juneau but they were paid by our tour operator so I don't know what they charge. They are very nice and should be willing to customize something for you.

juneausightseeingtours.com/3301/index.html

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

Maybe it's my age but what's the big deal over ziplines. Can do that anywhere. But Alaska is glaciers (among other things). Glacier Bay and College Fjord contains tidewater glaciers. Mendenhall is not a tidewater glacier. BTW we did a zip line once (but over 40 years ago)

9. Re: Is Mendenhall Glacier worth seeing? Family of 4-transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:15