We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

So we will be visiting off a cruise boat(The Solstice). I am not permanently in a wheel chair, i can get up for a few minutes,but i will need it most of the time when not in stores or tight area. So we will be on foot,no car getting around town,best walking,bus or taxi??. Any helpful advice would be great in regards to sightseeing with a wheel chair

New York
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

No tours? You just want to hang around the ports? There is so much more, frankly.

In Ketchikan you can go out to Creek St. a few totems and shopping. The museum is also nearby. Alaska Discovery is accessible. Hopefully you aren't at 4 dock. It's grueling at low tide in a wheel chair. Skagway, the park service visitor center is accessible, they have walking tours that would be doable in a wheelchair along with a move, ranger talk.

Juneau- the Juneau Douglas City museum, may be accessible? Busy downtown shopping area to keep you busy perhaps.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 22:35
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

The buses in Ketchikan are wheelchair accessible as are some of the tours. There is a free downtown shuttle at each berth run by the Borough and they use the big buses. You can do the pricy but wonderful Bering Sea Fisherman's tour in a chair as well as the Lumberjack Show which is very close to Berth One and Two. The bus can also take you to wheelchair accessible Totem Bight for $1 each way.. Plan three hours from start to finish for transportation and touring. Sidewalks are mostly good downtown thanks to the efforts of Southeast Alaska Independent Living or SAIL.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

While the area around the waterfront in Juneau should be fine, other parts are pretty hilly.

Here is a link to areas that are accessible in a wheelchair:

alaskaaccessibletravel.com/accessibility-whi…

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

Ya we have a few tours plan. We have a wild life boat tour plan In ketchikan, In Skagway we are going on the train tour to white pass and Victoria we are doing the Hippo city tour. Juno we canceled a wild life tour, because it Involved a lot of walking over rough ground. So there we have plan to do the MRT bus to Mendehall glacier. Shopping with in the city, maybe see the Museum. All the ports we are doing a little city/shopping tours on our own. . If there was ever a trip i so needed the full function of my body yikes!!.

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

so we(pre pay) for Bus travel (Transportation only) from the dock to Menenhall Glacier and back. LOL i was all ready to tell you who it was through but i forgot the name LOL. I do know its a trolly service. It was for 20.00, the 25.00 deal was a tour of Juno,and a 45min stay at the Glacier. We wanted to spend more time there, so we just opted for the bus jump on and off option. So just a question can you take a wheel chair out to nugget falls?, i dought it but it does not hurt to ask.

6. Re: getting around with a wheel chair from cruise boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
Recent Conversations