We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/thoughts for Kenai trip-September 2007 or May 2008

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary/thoughts for Kenai trip-September 2007 or May 2008

Greetings all - I'm planning a trip to the Kenai Peninsula (my first visit to Alaska!) for either September 2007 or late May 2008 (from my research, it sounds like the weather is better in May)?

For now, it's looking something like this: fly into and out of Anchorage, rent a car. Spend time in Seward and Homer (several days each) and perhaps a few days at Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge (is it worth the splurge?).

Love hiking and nature (don't fish) , so must see's in Seward include: SeaLife Center; kayak (and stay) in Lowell Point; Exit Glacier; perhaps Carter Lake, Russian River Waterfall, Resurrection River trail, Lost Lakes trail and/or Caines Head hikes (are any of these strenuous - I'm seeking more moderate to easy sort of day hikes with lovely fews?). Lodging choices: Saltwater Lodge or Alaska Paddle Inn (thanks Glacierlady!) Also want to do at least the 6-hour fjords cruise - did I miss anything?

Homer: stay at Ocean Shores Motel (is that a good choice - I'm hoping for ocean front properties during my stay?) and perhaps a trip across the bay to Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge (any opinions there?). Are there any great hikes that are not to be missed in and around Homer? Other things to do/see? Other lodging suggestions?

Also thinking of stops along the way including Hope and Ninilchik. Is it worth staying the night in Hope? I've read that the Eagle Rising Resort is nice, and there is whitewater rafting/kayaking on Six Mile Creek; hiking to Gull Rock overlook and Resurrection Pass.

Also, I'm a female traveling alone, so any cautions there? And, final question (whew), will I be able to get hiking trail maps once I'm there, or is there a book that someone might recommend for that?

Thanks everyone - appreciate your thoughts; truly can't wait!!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary/thoughts for Kenai trip-September 2007 or May 2008

one very nice book found is "Hiking Alaska" by Dean Littlepage. there's another heard about. Think it's something like "55 Ways into the Wilderness"?

Kenai, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary/thoughts for Kenai trip-September 2007 or May 2008

Greetings from Kenai! Maybe I can be of some help. A trip across the bay to Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge would be a nice trip. Another idea is Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge, which has received many high fives.

As you travel from Seward to Homer, definitely take the Russian River Falls trail. If you do travel next month, there should still be fish in the river so it will be easy to see them jumping up the falls to get to their spawning grounds. It is an incredible sight to see. Also, across the highway from the campground is K'Beq, the Kenaitze Indian Tribes cultural site. Visit them as well and learn more about the original inhabitants of our area.

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest coming to Kenai and stopping at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center. The newest permanent exhibit is about Captain Cook's 10 days in Cook Inlet, as well as an exhibit about Kenai's history and culture. Captain Cook State Park, at the end of the road, is a quiet place to visit...not over run by a lot of visitors. If you like beer, then you should stop by Kassik's Kenai Brew Stop on your way out there.

Homer also has its own brewery, and a winery as well: Bear Creek Winery. I take visitors to both places. Plus, Bear Creek has cabins. If that is outside your price range, then the Two Sisters Bakery has rooms above their bakery/restaurant...and it includes breakfast downstairs. And definitely try to get over to the other side of the bay for a hike, if that is what you are interested in doing. The Kachemak Heritage Land Trust takes guided hikes over there. Unfortunately, I don't know their schedule.

Now, regarding Denali. The Visitor Center closes on September 18th, which coincides with the dates for the road lottery. Winners of the lottery will be able to drive their own vehicles into the Park on September 14, 15, 16, and 17. However, most of the accommodations close around the15th. Not sure when in September you were thinking about visiting but thought you should know this. There are places south and north of Denali that will remain open though.

I hope you have a great time planning your trip to Alaska and an even better time while you are here.

13. Re: Itinerary/thoughts for Kenai trip-September 2007 or May 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 10:18