We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

We will be spending 8 (possibly 9) nights on the Kenai in an RV. Rather than park in a big paved parking lot with rows of rv's we would appreciate suggestions on camp grounds or even just pull off the road spots where we can stay for the night. Beautiful scenery is our number one priority but it would be nice to also have serenity and quiet.

I know that in an rv we can only get "off the beaten path" to a certain extent but if you are willing to share your secret places along the Kenai, I would be grateful!

Cheers!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

Spring Creek Campground is across the bay with awesome views of Seward and the surrounding mountains behind it.

www.cityofseward.net/parksRec/campgrounds.htm

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

If you stick to state type campgrounds - forest service/blm/whatever as opposed to private campgrounds, you will have more of what you are looking for. The private ones are generally the ones that have them stacked in like cordwood - which I don't like either. One of my favorites is in Ninilchick - looks right over the ocean. :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

Thanks to both of you! I figured the state ones were probably the best bet!

Keep the suggestions coming! :-)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

I enjoyed Porcupine CG (Hope), nicely treed sites, and there are a few on the west side with views of Turnagain Arm. But to get those, you'd likely have to reserve in advance. Nice hiking trail at the end of the CG, too: Gull Rock.

I also enjoyed Williwaw CG (Portage), another one with nicely treed sites.

And it doesn't sound as if you're going north of Anchorage, but in case you decide to, near Matanuska Glacier is Grandview RV park. Now at that one, the RV's are lined up in a parking lot, but there aren't that many of them (maybe 2 dozen total? There were only about 10 RV's when I was there.) and the view was spectacular. Nice little cafe on site too, as well as laundry facilities.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

Surprisingly, the Centenial campground right in Soldotna is very spacious - large campground so you are not right next to people. The river is right there, so it can be a good spot for you as well.

I am sure there are some good books as well as the Milepost that should list them, but once you are in state, stop at one of the visitor centers - they usually have the booklets w/maps for all these great campgrounds. :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

If you want "off the beaten path" you might like Tenderfoot Creek USFS CG on Upper Summit Lake. Or perhaps Primrose USFS CG with a hike out to the incredibly beautiful Lost Lake. Both are off the Seward Hwy.

On the Sterling, Quartz Creek CG overlooking beautiful Kenai Lake & Crescent Creek CG with a trailhead to Crescent Lake are off the main road on Quartz Creek Rd.

Skilak Lake Loop Rd is another off-the-beaten path on the Kenai. There are 4 campgrounds. We've stayed at the one on Hidden Lake ,one on Skilak Lake, & one on Ohmer Lake.

I'm trying to remember the name of the state campground with all the fireweed down around the mouth of the Kenai. Morgan's Landing CG? Kenai River Flats CG? Perhaps it was on Kalifornsky Beach Rd. Maybe coalminer can help me remember. It was beautiful. There are so many places down in that area.

Swanson River Road also has a couple of more remote campgrounds.

These are not of course, secret places. The secret off the beaten path places are gravel pits, fishing access roads, side-road pull-offs, bridge accesses, etc. to which directions are challenging. That's what keeps them secret LOL!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

These are great suggestions and I have saved them into a folder for our trip!

Thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

I want to expand a bit on my request for info but would like suggestions on campgrounds with spots right on a river or lake. Seems Quartz Creek has spots on a lake. Williwaw is near a lake but can't tell if there are spots right on the lake.

9. Re: Off The Beaten Path RV Parking with Incredible Scenery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 08:15