We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
304 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

So after a lot of snooping around I see these two tour companies coming out of Seward that interest me.

The Alaska Saltwater Lodge and Kenai Fjords Captain's choice.

What I want is to see the Glaciers and wild life and to be wowed by it all.

I like to play with my camera, bit of a camera person.

Don't like to fight a crowd, not what I came to Alaska for.

What there serving food wise is of little importance as I find that's most time not that good, if I wanted to eat I would go to a restaurant.

I am leaning more towards the Alaska Saltwater lodge as it sound like the size of the boats and customers on the boat is more to my liking, but I don't see a lot of notes about them. this tends to concern me a little. would love to hear a little feed back.

The Kenai Fjord Captains choice sounds good also little concern on the number of people on the boat and if it's to much of a birding tour.

Love birds, eagles especially just don't want a complete diet of birds.

anyone with a little feed back ?

Thanks in advance

Michael C

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

I've been out with Saltwater Lodge numerous times and it's always great. I've been highly recommending them for years.

Did you read their reviews on here?http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60873-d1111500-Reviews-Alaska_Saltwater_Lodge_Small_Group_Whale_Watching_Wildlife_Glacier_Tour-Seward_Alaska.html

Guess it didn't like the link so just type in their name at the top for a search.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 19:54
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

I would get Salltwater's refund/price adjustment policy in writing. I recall reading someone who booked a boat tour with them. The boat couldn't get out of the bay due to the weather/waves. They did not refund their customers any money. On the other hand, I have read where some of the larger vendors will refund you some money if the boat can't do the full tour.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
304 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Interesting there e-mail can't receive mail (full) and there phone is full.

are they in business ?

Corona, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

They are out of the state right now and will be back after the 29th. We are booked with them in June. They have been very accomodating and have offered us great deals on our stay. We have 7 people going and can't wait!

I would advise you to purchase trip insurance for your trip. We never did until my Parents were stranded in Boston....booked on the next flight to leave after the flight that terrorists highjacked on 9/11. Now we always insure our major trips...just in case.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Yes, they are still in business but are out of state right now. They should be back soon or possibly on the way right now, hence the full boxes.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

When I communicated with them in 2007-2008 they were very inefficient. Not once did they respond to an email. I had to keep calling and calling and calling to get my reservation booked and confirmed. It literally took me months to get a confirmed reservation. Looking back I have no idea why I stayed so patient. I had read nice reviews about their lodge and wanted to stay there. In the end, I wish I had made another choice.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
304 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

I thought I should come back and respond to this note after the fact as some may do a search and find it once again.

So when I got a mail box full bounce message I became a little concerned.

I resent the email and within a day I received a return email. I then sent one or two more with minor questions. I then booked.

My wife was very impressed with the all female crew that took care of the job at hand.

The trip was excellent and delivered as promised and then some.

It was a small boat with 10 passengers, what I want.

I think with a full load of 16 and rain the inside cabin could be real tight.

I plan to write a report but as I was doing so I remembered this note.

P.S. I got some excellent pictures and it was an excellent trip

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 17 June 2011, 04:44
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Allgood: thanks for following up. I am glad you got ahold of the Saltwater Lodge and had a wonderful trip. Your photos are awesome!!! You have a great camera.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Great photos !

Still waiting for your trip report and the rest of your photos :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saltwater lodge or Kenai tours

Awesome!! So glad you enjoyed it!! Wonderful pics and I look forward to your review.