We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

Where to fish, stay, would like to ship home our catch. 1-2 days time frame. I've looked at Cooper Landing, was told Kasilof is good for that time of the year, Seward or Homer. Any ideas?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

What are you looking to fish (halibut, lingcod, salmon, etc.) and how (shore, wading, drift boat, deep water, etc)?

Fishing is "good" pretty much from the end of May until September for "something" . . . just depends on what you're looking to catch, how you want to fish and your budget.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

There is not much of anything at Kasilof. Contnue to the end of the Sterling Highway in Homer and there are lots of accommodations of all types.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

We would like to catch salmon, halibut. We did halibut 2 years ago and had a great shipment back. We are now out of it and would like to catch both, I am leary of deep water, hubby is not, but he does not want to charter by himself. The last time they went with about 8-12 people for about 6 hours maybe out of Homer. They said that one was good, just didn't know if we really needed to go that far. I understand to do both you have to charter in the deep water. I will go for the fishing to replenish the freezer, but if I could go for a float and fish, that would be more my speed in the river, although am told the sockeye may be slow getting to Kenai River or Russian may not be a guarantee for the sockeye/king.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

No guarantees on any of the river salmons. We've been on the Kenai for silvers in prime time and got skunked . . . and for kings on the Kasiloff on only DH caught one (out of 4 of us). The limit on the kings that year was one, which I believe is typical.

For halibut we really enjoyed fishing with AFishunt out of Ninilchik, saving some water time. The entire boat (about 7 of us) were maxed out after about 3 hrs and were back in about 90 minutes earlier than expected.

I am not sure about salt water salmon timing so maybe someone else can chime in. I must admit the multi-fish (species) trips have my interest for a future trip. There are some regular T/A contributors here who can probably help.

In the meantime, you should really do a search of the forums to find the recent threads discussing them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

if you go to the Alaska Forum, look under TOP QUESTIONS and you'll find a section on fishing. One of the links is for Alaska F&G with information on the timing of various runs at various locations and counts.

Also if you do a SEARCH you'll find some recommendations for charters. You can search in the Alaska forum or choose particular towns, but next to the word SEARCH IN, type the word charter and you should get a bunch of threads that include the word charter.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

At Timeshare Von: So that would mean making new threads for specific areas? I really appreciate the input and would like to get something nailed down accomodations-wise, nightlife-wise (only a beer or two within walking distance of course) and just good friendly-no worries kinda people oh and charter wise if that's what it takes:)

Edited: 02 May 2011, 02:42
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

Yay! I like the maxed out after 3 hours. More time to do other things. I'll look around that area. Is that Kasilof or the inlet?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

AT yescanada-thanks for the info, will look into it!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

I suppose since this one is in the Kenai forum, you could start a new thread. To be honest, I view from the AK forum and don't ever go into the various individual location forums . . . but that's me.

Ninilchik is down the Kenai Peninsula heading from Soldotna towards Homer on the Sterling Hwy but probably half an hour before Homer.

I'm not much help on lodging in that area, although there are cabins for rent as well as camping at AFishunt's location before you reach town (Alaskan Angler RV Resort).

Here is the link to their website for both the camp and fishing charters http://afishunt.com/ .

p.s. Bonus on our fishing charter was a pair of orcas not far from our boat on the way back in. We got some photos and videos . . . very cool. Here is the trip report (with photos) from that fishing trip igougo.com/…1378025 .

Edited: 02 May 2011, 03:28
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 17, 2011 arrival to Kenai Pen.

bambogger, we go down to the Russian River to red salmon fish for both the first & second red salmon runs every summer. We always plan on catching the first salmon run on the summer solstice and have never gone wrong yet. That is almost exactly when you will be there. We go to the confluence of the Russian & Kenai Rivers for the best catches. That can be accessed either via Russian River Campground, the parking lot furthest in the campground & then down to the boardwalk or by the Russian River Ferry.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 03:41