We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

Just starting to work on a plan for a trip to Alaska in August,2012, with the focus on Denali and the Kenai Peninsula. I lived in Alaska years ago but this will be my first time back. There will be 4 of us, all adults, all active and interested in hiking and seeing natural beauty.

I plan to fly into Anchorage and head straight to Seward for 3 nights. We will then have 4 days/3 nights to make our way up to Denali. I was thinking of 2 nights at Homer (with a boat trip over to Halibut Cove) and one at Girdwood, but then added up the driving and it seemed a bit much. We really don't want to be spending more than 4 hours a day in the car if we can avoid it.

Today I came across the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, and it looks great. Now I'm thinking of 2 nights there instead of Homer.

What do you think? I actually never heard of this place until today, but it looks like a great opportunity for glacier-watching, kayaking, and a little relaxed hiking after out time at Seward (where we plan to hike Mt. Marathon and Exit Glacier/Harding Icefield with a guide.)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

Hi Enzian,

It's great to see you're planning to visit Alaska. No Grand Canyon next summer?

If you don't want to drive more than 4 hours a day and you have only a limited time before you get to Denali then I would say forget Homer. Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge has a beautiful setting. I like this lodge more than Northface Lodge in Denali NP. However, I highly recommend spending at least two nights. If you spend only one night you won't have any time for all available activities and any relaxation. Cabins are simple but comfortable and roomier than Northface Lodge's rooms. Food is great, staff knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. I'm a hiker too and, IMHO, in the Seward area there are more scenic and interesting hikes than Mt. Marathon which I found overcrowded with tourists who probably never hiked before. But this is only my personal observation. Between Seward and Denali NP you might consider staying in Talkeetna. Many visitors enjoy this unique small town especially those who want to include flightseeing to Mt. McKinley. There is another fantastic place to visit almost on the way, Hatcher Pass. If by any chance you decide to stay near Hatcher Pass I can give you suggestions for some extremely scenic hikes. We spent two weeks in the Palmer area this year and hiked every day. Also if you decide to stay at the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge check Toursaver and Northern Lights coupon books. One of them should have BOGO free coupon for 2012.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

Thank you so much! It sounds like Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge will be just right. I was thinking of two nights there; that will leave one to spend on the way to Denali and a nother day to finish the drive---we just need to be near the park entrance the evening of the fourth day. We'll then head out to Camp Denali for the next foour days.

I'll post my entire proposed itinerary separately, and hope you will add comments there too.

And thank you for suggesting Toursaver or Northern Lights coupon books. I would not have thought to check those for deals (they didn't exist when I lived up there. I'm just gettin gused to the whole new tourist infrastructure that exists in Alaska.)

As for Grand Canyon, I may make it there too. My brother-in-law and I are both celebrating "big" birthdays in 2012. He wants to raft the Grand Canyon in September and I may go along on that trip. My trip will be Alaska!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

Two nights at the lodge is a great idea.

Are you planning to stay at Camp Denali or Northface Lodge?

When you post your itinerary send me PM. I'm traveling in Alaska right now and there will be days without internet access. I'll be more than happy to give you my input but with so many very frequent posters/experts on the Alaska forum I doubt you would need my comments. So 2012 is a big year? Soon I'll be driving through Seattle to Mt Rainier on the way from the ferry in Bellingham. In the beginning of May I hope to stop in Grand Canyon but only of we get a hiking permit for The Wave. This would be my third time applying.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 19:04
maine
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

We spent 8 days in Homer and really loved it! If you go to Halibut cove book a sailboat tour through Central Charters. We also spent a couple of days in Seward, it is beautiful and offers alot, but there was a cruise ship there at the time and we didn't care for that scene,

5. Re: Homer or Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:16