We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Has anybody heard of/ used a company by the name of Alaska Half Price? There is a Groupon deal available with them for a few days. My husband has fished Alaska twice and is dying to get me up there with him to fish. We have a chance next summer to piggy-back a fishing lodge week on top of a cruise and wondered if this might be the way to go. Any reviews on the facilities, cabins, guides, their program? We've been watching lots of fishing shows and know there are some great places to come visit. I don't want to waste it "on a good deal" and then have it be a bad experience. Any help would be great

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Is the Alaska Half Price Groupon sitll available? I thought that was available in June. Did you buy it then? Or is it available again now?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

I can't see where the Groupon is still "open" but the web site for AK Half is:

canterwoodcabins.com

They sold an awful lot of the Groupons (320) and I'd worry about them scheduling all of the "discounts".

3. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 July 2012, 01:06
4. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

5. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Welcome to the forum Melissa.......you seem to have a lot of "inside" information on this company......there are a lot of people on this forum who are interested in fishing packages.......maybe you could give us the details of your last two Alaskan trips, where you stayed what other things you did, etc.......

Renton, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Alaska Half Price is a joke, we booked with them through Groupon and made reservations 7 months in advance. When we got there the accommodations was nothing like they had represented. It was basically a dirty bunk house that smelled like wet dog. Sarah booked our full day of halibut, but it was supposed to start until 2:30pm, who goes out at 2:30pm for fishing? We cut bait with Alaska Half Price and had to rebook our fishing trips and accommodations. Had we not had a Groupon we would have lost all of our money, because there was no way we were going to sleep with the dogs. What a rip-off.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

Welcome to the forum, collene. FYI many regulars on the forum are suspect of 'one post wonders' ranting or raving about a company and never posting again. You might want to give a report of your entire trip to help us know what else you did and where you went.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

I would be very suspicious of any deals brokered by Groupon. Here in the UK, there have been hundreds of complaints which led to action being taken by the Office of Fair Trading (now known as "Consumer Direct") as well as many local Trrading Standards offices.

The United Arab Emirates is also warning people:

thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/indus…

Mentioned in this post
Renton, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Half Price Reviews?

We spent 9 days in Alaska we did a guided ATV tour just outside of Girdwood, AK had a great time. Then we drove down to Seward and on the way down we stopped in the town of Hope for lunch. I would recommend stopping by Hope if you have time. We toured the Fjords and again we had a great boat captain. We hiked to the Exit Glacier and everyone that goes to Seward should try to make time to hike to the glacier very cool. Then we end up in Homer fishing with Inlet Charters and I have to say Barbara at Inlet Charters saved our vacation. She was wonderful and helped us find a place to stay and booked us two great days of fishing. If you are looking for a place to stay in Homer check out Glacier View Cabins with Kelly, they are great.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska