We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Landing Hotel

Belfast
4 posts
Save Topic
Kenai Landing Hotel

Has anyone any experience of the Kenai Landing Hotel in Kenai? It seems to be quite new and sounds good from the website description but cannot find any review of it from actual travellers.

Tucson
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

We were there last year. Kenai Landing, as represented on websites, is a FAR CRY from what it is actually like. 1)They say they have nature and hiking trails. There are no nature hiking trails. There are some local ATV trials through the spruce bogs, however. 2) They say they have a museum. There is no museum. 3) Their website depicts a golf putting green. There are no greens anywhere. 4) Some sites say they have horseback/bicycle rentals There are no horseback/bicycle rentals. All lies.

When we were there, we were very surprised to discover that the "his and her" shared bathroom was carefully chosen verbiage that actually means locker-room style with everyone else in the building ie; your bathroom is public and used by the general populace staying there. Very deceptive.

The rooms are cold and sparse, small in size, and provided no reason to bother unpacking anything. They are, after all, designed to only provide a roof over a canney workers head, and a cot. No ambience. It was like staying in a wooden cell.

The "marketplace" has several well-meaning independent shopkeepers trying to expand their existing businesses, or trying their hand at a new venture. We discovered they pay rent to Kenai Landing for the space, but when we were there, it was raining, and the roofs were leaking horribly into the shops damaging artist's goods, and it was freezing cold but heaters were not allowed by managment. The marketplace is inside a big wooden-beamed barn warehouse that is colder than the temperature outside, as there are 2 empty floors above, so it probably never is warm. Shopkeepers are friendly and sell a variety of quality and interesting arts, but seem to be taken-advantage of by Kenai Landing's slum-lordy seeming style.

Prior to booking, we spoke with someone who identified himself as either an owner or managing partner or something of importance like that. He said KenaI Landing was right within walking distance of downtown Kenai, and local shops. We discovered 1) there is no downtown Kenai. The best is a strip with Safeway and HomeDepot on it and McDonald's, Radio Shack and Arby's. Soldotna has much more of a commerce-type center and 2) There is historic Kenai, consisting of a few blocks of preserved buildings but they are 7 MILES AWAY from this property called Kenai Landing!!! LIAR!

There are TV's in some rooms, but no reception. You can however, borrow a DVD player and choose from a small selection of DVD's from the main office, to pass the time after you spend a whole hour exploring this bleak and barren industrial property, looking for some stimulus but finding none. Historic? It operated until the late 90's as a fish gutting place. That's not historic.

The river itself is affected by the tide, so you either have mud flats to look at during low tide, or brown water churning it's way upstream from the onrushing high tides.

The restaurant serves burgers and some other fare, but it took 20 minutes for waitstaff to acknowledge our presence. The 3 of them were right next to us in another booth, saw us sit down, but were busy taking a break because it was so slow. The burger was very good; the undisciplined and unresponsive service was not. We didn't eat there again because we did not want to tip for lousy service, knowing none of it would get to the cooks, who surely deserved it.

This property deliberately misleads people by what it offers, by it's deceptive wording and visuals and by outright misrepresentations on other websites about it's activities offerings. I wanted to write a review right after staying there, I was so upset by the deception, misrepresentations and lies, but my wife's cooler head has prevailed 'till now, after some time has allowed me to be less angry in my review.

Beware of this property and anything they may tell you. I don't mind variety in quality but I mind being lied to, misleading, and decpetive means to get my money. Stay in the nearby town of Solodtna; it is much nicer, greener has independently owned shops and artist quarters, and drive out to Kenai for a visit, and spend a 1/2 hour shopping the vendors at Kenai Landing. Actually staying on the property will be a waste of money, time and a dissappointment.

Tucson
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

P.S.

I also wanted to dispeIl some other things that are listed on reservation websites about Kenai Landnig, no doubt just publishing what Kenai Landing wants the public to believe, prior to investigation.

There is no brewpub. That is a lie.

There is no charter office for booking guided fishing and tours. That is a lie.

The RV "park" is one dirt strip caterpilered out to the side on their driveway. You can find better just pulling off the highway, and that would be free.

In order to dipnet for salmon, as you are so warmly invited to do from Kenai Landing's dock, you need to have a dipnetting license and you have to be a resident of Alaska to get that license. The fine is pretty steep for engaging in this activitty if you are visiting and not a resident.

There is no beach on the property for "beachwalks" as claimed. That is a lie.

Unless your definition for recreation and relaxation is watching some DVD's in your wooden cell while it rains, spending a 1/2 hour in the "marketplace", and eating a burger, this is NOT a resort.

Spend your money here if you want to; I just hope you enjoy the nothing you'll get for it.

Belfast
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

Thanks very much for the feedback. I knew there was something not right about this place. Have cancelled and booked elswhere. There's no point travelling all of the way from Ireland to sit in a cold wooden cell...

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

i stayed at kenai landing at the end of the season last summer. i fell in love with the place, and couldn't wait to come back. i got a job here this summer and moved out here. nobody told me to write this review and i am not being deceptive. i am sitting an office in a renovated historic building watching a beautiful sunset over snow-capped volcanoes and the mouth of the river, and there is no place i would rather stay. i am not being taken advantage of by the owners and i would reccomend to all my friends that they come and stay here. We have some nice rooms with new, clean, queen beds, sinks, and shared baths. We also have some very nice rooms with private baths, and any customer in the restaurant this summer would get help right away. The bar serves local microbrews, but we don't brew any beer on site. We have a museum, but it is not open yet. The weather has been nice every day that i have been here (2 weeks). Anyone can fish here, but you need a permit, and if you want a guide you have to pay for it, which is the way i would expect it to be if i were visiting a place for the first time. There are local horseback riding and hiking services and local trails that the guests here use (Though we don't provide these services ourselves). There is a boardwalk along the waterfront that is a great place to take a walk. There are actually two fish plants on the site. one is the historic buildings that are now a bar, restaurant, marketplace and movie theater, the other is the modern fish processing plant, which was active into the 90s, and is active today. The resort is new and we are improving things all the time. Four years ago this was a ghost town, so naturally there is still room for improvement. i printed out jockamo's review and i am going to read it every time i need to prioritize. i got the tvs working in all the hotel rooms this week. i am doing a lot more than that to improve things, and i am not the only one. i am sorry that jockmo had such a lousy experience here. i think he was being sincere in his review even though i dissagree with every opinion he expressed, i also think that if he came here this summer he might be surprised by the vast improvements in all of the facilities. i know the owners and i trust them, and i don't think they are liars. I am really sorry that jockamo felt like they decieved him. i know our customers and guests were happy today, and i am excited about the future here at Kenai Landing.

Farmington...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

Personally, as someone who looked at your website and noticed the coupon in the Alaska toursaver book. YOUR SITE IS DECEIVING!!! If you want customers to visit your up-and-coming area, the site needs to be changed. (1) If you don't have a golf course talk if off the picture. (2) If their are any activities that you don't have running THIS SUMMER take them off the site to or list as COMING SOON. (3) You might be building a muesum, but you can't say you have one until people can explore it, that's just unfair to say. Visually making your potential customers believe the Kenai Landing has stuff that it really don't is not good business. It may be beautiful and have lots to see, so than show that on the site.

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

I have lived on the Kenai Peninsula for over 13 years and I must say that bgwrkr claims are very accurate, if not somewhat held back. I truly understand his frustration. I am an avid fan of Trip Advisor and have used it for many of my vacations I happened on this Kenai forum and was more than suprised by the mis-information spread here.

Your most reputable and valuable source for information about the Kenai area, if not the entire Kenai Peninsula is the the Kenai Convention & Visitors Bureau located in Kenai.

http://www.visitkenai.com/

This will get you started in the right direction. I would start there for any questions.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

i am at kenai landing. the webpage says "Coming soon" when you click the museum link. There is a 3-hole putting green out in the lawn. i built it a month ago. there is wifi in the lobby.

NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

I certainly wish I had known about this website before my family reserved and arrived at Kenai Landing after our northbound cruise. Based on the fact that the Toursaver booklet contained a coupon (I guess my assumption was that they would only endorse quality establishments) and the glowing recommendation in Frommer's Alaska book, we reserved 2 nights earlier this month.

When we arrived at the property, we were first struck by the fact that the driveway was accented by a landfill, then by the junkyard appearance of the place........not the "quaint" and "historic" location I had read about in Frommer's and on the Kenai Landing website.

There was a tv in our room, but it picked up nothing - my son said they must not have paid the cable bill - now I wonder. After you have been on a cruise ship with 2 teenagers for a week, believe me, a tv is a necessity. Front desk's excuse? Weather. Sometimes when the weather is really bad we don't get tv. It was slightly overcast that day. We were finally able to rig the dvd player to play a movie borrowed from the front desk.

We did have a private bath, but the smell emanating from the bathroom was so horrific that we entered it only for the absolute necessities. No one in my family would shower in that room, and we brushed our teeth with bottled water. Yes, I saw the card that said the tannins in the water were responsible for the color and I could have dealt with that, but the color and the smell combined were just too much. Not to mention the fact that the aged linoleum appeared dirty - it may not have actually been old, but it was not a color/pattern conducive to appearing clean at any time, plus the lighting was very dim in the bathroom, adding to the murky atmosphere. This was also the only hotel of our visit which did not have hairdryers either in the room or to borrow; I phoned and asked before the trip if hairdryers were available and was told "no, but our owners have been trying to get some." Sorry, but even in Alaska I can't see that it would be too much to ask to have a couple of hairdryers available at the front desk for customers to borrow.

The room was fairly spacious and did appear to have been freshly painted, however the only furnishings in the room were a futon, a bed, and 2 plant stands (in lieu of night stands) and a desk (holding the tv) that had originated in a box and were unfinished wood. In addition, there were 6 heavy metal bentwood-style dining chairs......purpose unknown. There were a couple of tiny discount store lamps for light and bent metal mini blinds on the windows. There was no bedding for the futon, although housekeeping did bring it when requested. The bedding did appear to be quite clean.

The metal baseboard heating units were virtually hanging on the walls. Thank God we were warm enough without heat because I would have been afraid to turn them on. Which reminds me, right inside the front door there was a metal clamp for a fire extinguisher (no where to be found - is this a code violation?) on the wall. I fear that some small child will soon be blinded by these pieces of protruding metal.

As soon as we could get packed the next morning, we left Kenai Landing and headed toward Seward, knowing we would not return for our "free" second night's stay. We were very fortunate to find a vacancy at Murphy's Motel in Seward for the next night; this is a small, older motel, and we stayed in the older section, but it was neat, clean, smelled fresh, and had a working tv AND a hairdryer. I highly recommend Murphy's.

My biggest lesson learned here: never book a hotel that features an artist's rendering rather than actual photos on its own website.

NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

My wife wrote the previous comments but I wanted to include my 2 cents as I walked the entire property. The entrance of the property looks to be adjacent to a waste processing plant as we followed a septic tank pumping truck in and the road dead ends as we turned into the driveway. Maybe this explains the brown water. As we passed the landfil we truely had a hard time determining where this beautiful historic resort was as everything looked in disrepair. I'm impressed that Historymaker created a putting green in the first week they worked there. I didn't see it but really wasn't looking for it since I was so disappointed within an hour after we checked in. The scenery in Alaska was breathtaking but the view of the river here was, as bgwrkr stated, mud and brown water. We drove about a mile to a beach that was frequented by 4wd vehicles and had to walk through 100 feet of 18" deep ruts to get down to the water. When I went to inquire about the lack of TV reception, the young lady in the office could barely take her nose out of her computer to talk to me. I was glad to get packed and out of there. When we said we were not staying the second night, they didn't even inquire why (I think they automatically knew). From a basic business ethics approach, if the owners were interested in providing customers with some level of good service they would first refund our and bgwrkr's money (not jockamo who just inquired about this hotel). and then price the rooms accordingly until they match the description of their website. Kenai Landing looks to be a good idea with a very, very poor execution.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenai Landing Hotel

I was very disappointed to read the review and discover that this place is not what it claims.

My husband and I are fans of Kenai after an unexpected side trip ended us there several years ago. We took the not so congested Kenai Spur Road when we discovered one weekend that Soldotna was overrun by RVers and horrible traffic. The ENTIRE Fred Meyer store parking lot was filled with RVers.

We just happened to land in an area of Kenai called Historic Old Town Kenai. The place we stayed was Beluga Lookout RV Park. I think they also have lodge rooms, but not sure :( . Anyway, it seemed like few of us had this sort of small, intimate and beautiful area of Kenai all to ourselves. In the middle of the old town, we had magnificent views of Cook Inlet, Kenai River, and the mountains. The historic area has an old Russian Orthodox Chapel that was built in 1906, and there is a native center about a block away. By chance, we were walking by and ran into an old native who was very interesting. He told us some great places to fish, and we are always happy to try new places.

Right across the street from that Orthodox church is the most quaint little restaurant. You can eat outside in the garden or inside the porch. The espresso drinks were great and the breakfasts were fantastic.

That day we walked the beach for a few miles. There were MAYBE a handful of people there only.

Since then, we have visited Kenai several times, but return to the same area only. We've found our opinion to remain the same, and we continue to walk on the beach and take in the beautiful views away from the usual crowds in Soldotna.

Since we are AK residents, we have also been in Kenai for the personal use fishing (dipnetting). It is just a blast. Unfortunately, it is not open to visitors, and the fishery is now closed for the season. We look forward to returning to Kenai again next year for the dipnetting.

I was so sorry to hear about your experience, and I am glad you have passed that on to other travelers. Next time I am in Kenai, I will pass some information to the Visitor's Bureau and Chamber about this deceptive advertising. However, I hope this will not stop visitors from going to Kenai and discovering the quaint charm of the old village area.