We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward or Whittier..Confusion

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
Seward or Whittier..Confusion

Hi,

I am doing a 6 week long tour in alaska flying from LA.

July 3rd - ANC to denali drive via talkeetana

July 4th - denali tour booked.stay at fairbanks ( about 3 hrs from denali)

July 5th - Fairbanks to Valdez ( scenic route)

July 6th -Valdez - Glacier Hike and kayak

drive to copper center after the tour

July 7th - drive from copper center to Matanushka hike,hike for 3 hrs.

After Matanushka hike,drive to ANC to stay in the night ( drive is about 2-3 hrs)

July 8th - My question here is with all that I have done in Valdez and Matanuska...Should i do Whittier or seward..?

I know whittier has the 26 glacier cruise

Seward has the knai fjords park cruise ( more wildlife and less glacier)

Kindly SUGGEST..

July 8th night - booked a B & B at girdwood

July 9th - Take it easy something in and around girdwood..

afternoon flight back to LAX

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

Probably just depends on what sounds better to you. Looks like you'll already be doing a lot of driving. You may prefer to chill out in Girdwood a bit, maybe go on a couple hikes and just enjoy the area for a bit. My parents liked the Kenai Fjords tour quite a bit more than the boat tour in Valdez. Personally, I don't think it'll be a lot different from the Whittier one. But you may not feel like driving down to Seward (If you do I'd stay the night down there on the 8th and drive back up on the 9th). Definitely not a right or wrong- just dependent on your interests.

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

Thanks so much for the quick response.Did your parents do the Kenai Fjords cruise..

kenaifjords.com/…1130am

Like the url above..? or they went around Seward ( kenai) themselves..?

I was told that Whittier and Valdez are on the same points in the map,so very similar scenary.

so with what u have mentioned..I am thinking after my hike on Matanuska, drive to seward straight on July 7th.( about 5-6 hrs from Matanuska,long drive..but once for all I am done),So i can atleast wake up at 8 am ish on july 8th and then head to check out seward..( still contemplating on the kenai tour) and then check Exit glacier,Byron Glacier & portage glacier on the way to girdwood and stay at Girdwood.

My B & B at Girdwood is already booked for July 8th night..Take it easy on 9th morning and head to ANC airport on 9th afternoon.

Ofcoz I am sure I will be dead tired once I land in LAX on 9th night..

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

What time does your flight arrive. Driving to Denali the day you arrive is ambitous.

I would skip Fairbanks and find somewhere in Denali area to stay. Going to Fairbanks is a long drive for no real good reason if you are not going to spend a full day in the area and doing the drive after a full day bus tour is a bit much.

I would spend the 8th and 9th in Seward and do the full day kenai national park cruise on the 9th

Edited: 07 June 2012, 22:31
San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

Hi,

I am flying from LAX to ANC on July 2nd evening,so will be there at 12:30 am on July 2nd night.I plan to start driving to Denali on July 3rd 11 am ish..:)

I was told Denali to Fairbanks is 2 -3 hrs,so i booked a hotel in fairbanks for July 4th night after my whole day tour at denali which starts at 7 am,so should be done by 7 pmish and start driving to fairbanks.

So you are suggesting Seward to Whittier right..? I am kinda zeroing in on Seward too..

If i have one day july 8th and i have to choose between whittier and seward..I am not sure what to choose.

my flight to LA is on july 9th afternoon.

Madhavi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
346 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

Did both Whittier and Seward last year. Both are very different. I liked the 26 glacier (more glaciers) at Whittier more , wife liked the Kenai Fjord(more wildlife) at Seward more. And both of us had the most special days of our trip on those days. So it all depends on what you want. The water is much more rough at Seward if that is of any consideration. Maybe you could chuck Valdez and try to do both with the glacier hike at Exit Glacier near Seward.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

I would never drive to Fairbanks after an all day shuttle bus tour. I would cancel Fairbanks and find something closer to Denali for the night and not go to Fairbanks on such a short time frame. I think you would be btter served to focus on quality rather than quantity and limit yourself to Denali and Seward for such a short trip.

wrt the water conditions, Seward can be much rougher but it is all weather dependent. e prefer Seward because there is si much more wildlife on the Seward trip and multiple other things to do while there.

7. Re: Seward or Whittier..Confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:16