We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leakesville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

Hi Y'all ( in a very friendly southern drawl ) We ( 2 adult couples ) will be arriving in Seward on June 14, 2013 post a cruise. We are only able to stay about 5 nights on land post cruse due to time and budget, but we are planning a inland land tour in 2014 since we know we will not be able to do all we want. We would like to visit the Kenai areas , Denali then fly back home from Anchorage. I have read tons of the forum and I am looking at:

1. Friday June 14, arriving in Seward, renting a car,touring Seaward ,the glacier, maybe a cruise, then heading to Kenai for 2 nights.

2. Sat, June 15 trip to Homer with lots of stops along the way then back to Kenai for the night

3. Sun, June 16, a car trip to Captain Cooks State Park, then a side trip to Hope, on toward Denali *** need suggestions where to stop

4. Monday, June 17 Complete travel toward Denali, tour area around

5. Tues June 18, Bus tour of Denali then head toward Anchorage, *** open for suggestions if this would work

6. Wed, June 19 Fly out of Anchorage.

*** We know this will mostly be a sight- seeing car tour, which we plan to explore more and have more land time in 2014 (without a cruise) but we really can not go on the cruise without a few days on the land. We love to ride and look, sight wildlife, we are not hikers or fishermans but would love to explore beautiful sights and historic areas.

Questions : is Kenai a good stoping point for the first 2 night, Is plan doable, Your thoughts welcome. Should we turn the car in Anchorage on the way to Denali and rent another car? Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,903 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

I would do it this way instead - I would stay in Seward for one night, doing all you can see & do there as you have listed. Then I would train to Anchorage, pick up car and head to Denali, with maybe a stop in Talkeetna or Hatcher Pass, depending on your interests. With only 5 days, you don't have enough time for Homer and Denali. That is my opinion - I think you need a few days in Denali. If that isn't quite what you want, I would also not recommend staying in Kenai - either make it Seward or Homer or possibly Cooper Landing, but not the actual town of Kenai. Hope that makes sense. :)

Leakesville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

Thanks Coalminer, I appreciate your reply. I think we will keep our trip between Anchorage and Homer as much as we would love to see Denali this trip it is a great reason to return to Alaska to see Denali, Fairbanks, ect.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

I would skip Kenai and spend your time in Homer. From Soldatno to Homer it is only about 73 miles

Edited: 28 September 2012, 02:43
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

Some people really enjoy scenic driving, so if that's you, your itinerary could work. I wouldn't overnight in Kenai though. Drive to Homer to stay for the first 2 nights .

FRI visit Exit Glacier. Leisurely drive to Homer 4 hrs plus stops

SAT explore Homer

SUN drive to Girdwood 4 hrs plus stops.

MON drive to Denali 5-6 hrs

TUE shuttle

WED drive back to Anc 5 hrs (assume your flight is a red eye)

The Kenai Peninsula web site is a good resource. They'll send you a free visitor guide, as will most towns.

http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

I am with yescanada - stay in Homer and skip the town of Kenai. You really don't have time to see much in Seward as well as spend time in Homer. That is just the reality. Sure there are people who race from place to place, then say they want to see the "real Alaska" when in reality they really only see the real Alaska roads, the few of them that there are!

The only way I would consider a Kenai Fjords boat tour is if you did it at 8am right when you got off your ship (probably means walking off with your own luggage), taking the 6-hour tour that ends at 2pm then drive to Homer. I did that last May and got to Homer right about 6pm, maybe slightly later.

What do you want to see/do in Homer? You really will only have one full day there. Then you need to depart Homer for points north. However, if it were me, I would probably try to get from Homer to say Eagle River on Sunday. There are so many places to stop along Turnagain Arm that if you overnight in Girdwood, you are spending quite a bit more time stopping between Girdwood and Anchorage on Monday. Get more of the drive toward Denali done on Sunday then spend Monday stopping along the Parks Highway if the Mountain is out. You can also spend more time on Monday in Denali NP when you first arrive - lots to see/do near the entrance.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

THe only reason we go to Kenai would be to visit Home Depot. The drive off of the Sterling Hwy at Kasilof via the Kalifornsky Beach Road can be interesting and the turn off to cross the mouth of the Kenai River is interesting. I would have to disagree with John (fti) on driving out of Homer on a Sunday as the highway is full of rental RVers returning to Anchorage. But, if you have no choice....

We drove back from Anchorage yesterday (Friday) and the drive through the river canyon at Cooper Landing towards Sterling was beautiful with the fall colors.

7. Re: 5 night land tour Kenai and Denali advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:17