We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Peninsula roads

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Kenai Peninsula roads

Hi, could anyone tell me if the following roads are paved or gravel roads as I have been reading a couple of web sites which say they are good for wildlife viewing.

The roads are :

Kenia Spur highway

Bridge access road

Marathon road

Swanson river drive

swan lake road

Skilak lake road

Has anyone else gone off the main road and investigated any of these?

many thanks

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

Skip the days in Anchorage and Whittier and definitely go to Valdez - you won't be disappointed - amazing mountains, glaciers, and waterfalls on the way, and hiking Matanuska Glacier and kayaking from Valdez to Columbia Glacier were my favorite activities of our 2 week trip.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

I am glad you have decided against the cruise. Everything you can see from the cruise ship and in the ports are things you will already see in your itinerary.

As I mentioned earlier, I went out berry picking today. It was about 60 and sunny up at elevation, and I managed to get quite a few. So many in fact, that I didn't have time to go gold panning. There were about 10 of us on the whole mountain. When leaving, we saw someone going out paragliding.

I think you are choosing a good time for visiting next year. Keep up the planning. The year will fly by fast!

Carmichael...
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

The post at the bottom of this forum mentioned meandering to Homer. If you want to meander you should include more than a day. You could deviate on the way to Homer at Anchor Point as there is a road into the hills. There is an interesting Russian settlement up there (not the one along the Sterling Hwy north of Anchor Point). We met this Russian woman up there - interesting person but beware that she will try to sell you anything. It was winter time so maybe with all the tourists gone she was desparate!.

When you get to Homer you can drive out East End Road. At the end and the beginning of Kachemak Bay (did I spell this right?) there are some more Russians. The roads at the end are not that good, but East End Road is paved a good distance.

You could also take a tourist ride on the Dany J to Halibut Cove. I think they shut down Labor Day Weekend. I hope not as we will be in Homer between the 18th and the 22nd!

Why so many days in Homer? Talk to a builder and look to move there from California!!!

John

Mentioned in this post
alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

Hi numbereight, I don't know if you still need this information as I am reading this post Feb. 2007. I live just off of Swanson River Road. Kenai Spur Highway and Bridge Access are main roads and paved. Marathon Road, Swanson River Road, Swan Lake Road, and Skilak Lake Road are all gravel. In pretty good shape except maybe early spring. Although can be rough at times. Also I don't know if they plow Skilak all winter. All of these roads are fun to explore and have seen moose, caribou, bears and links on all. A good place to see moose and caribou is on the Kenai Spur early in the morning. But also have driven these roads many times and not seen anything. Oh and also some of these roads have a 1/4 mile or so pavement at the beginning.

Hope this helps

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

Hi thanks for the latest information, we are still planning to come out this August so the information is really useful.

alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

Hey numbereight, Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I spelled lynx - ( links) I realized I did that in the middle of the night. Anyway we saw lynx also . I will be glad to answer any specific questions, if you have any. You will drive right by most of these roads. Skilak Lake Road is a loop and very enjoyable and you may very well see black bear at least. Several good hikes off of that road.

Good luck

17. Re: Kenai Peninsula roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 07:21