We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anan Creek

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Anan Creek

We have scheduled a trip to Anan Creek via floatplane during our cruise next August. I can cancel if need be but wanted to hear from others if this is a good trip.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anan Creek

Yes, it's a good trip!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anan Creek

I am going to Anan for the first time in July for 2 nights/3 days and staying at the cabin there. It sounds like a great trip.

When in August are you going? The earlier the better - by late August the salmon aren't as plentiful and so neither are the bears.

Just a question out of curiosity - why did you book the excursion first then ask for opinions about it? I would think you could be stuck with cancellation fees that way!

John

San Diego...
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anan Creek

I've been told by the Ketchikan locals that Anan is pretty much done by mid-august. July is better. They recommend Traitor's Cove as an alternative in mid-August. Anan requires permits...I believe it's 60 per day...does your excursion provider have a permit for the day you want to go? The cost of the floatplane trip is expensive...the locals/experienced travelers only do it when the salmon are really running. But...it's unpredicatable...subject to the laws of nature, if your trip is early August you'll have to decide if it's worth it...if it's late August the word is that it's pretty much over.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anan Creek

Our trip is on Aug. 6. I hope it will not be too late. The company already has the required permits.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anan Creek

From what I have read, early August should still be OK. But you can check with your operator a few days before departure and see what they say. They should know how good or bad it is. One reason I am going for three days is that I am going early in the season - I figure by being there for three days I will have enough opportunities to see bears, even if it is slightly early in the season.

Have a great time.

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anan Creek

Early August is just past peak for Anan... should be an okay visit. This is an even numbered year, however... has anyone checked the pink salmon numbers in lower SE for even numbered years?

Also, if you're traveling independently or on a private cruise, Anan is much easier to get to by boat from Wrangell.

Early August is perfect for Pack Creek too... Anyone paying to fly from KTN to Anan might also be interested in the similar excursions from JNU to Pack Creek.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anan Creek

Mid to late August is still very good for bear viewing at Anan Creek. I've been 4 times and have never been disappointed. I believe that if you have the option to go there, do it! It is unbelievable. I spoke with a naturalist last year and she said that Anan Creek supports a bear population of about 160 black bears & 80 brown bears. It's really great.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anan Creek

I will be on the early end of the season in early July 2008 but I will be there for three days so I am not too concerned. However, we are spending for two nights/three days for two of us what one person normally pays for a day trip fly-in from Ketchikan. If I were paying the day trip prices from Ketchikan, I would want to be 100% sure I am going in peak season. Thus for me, going to Anan the end of August would not be an option. Maybe you were lucky, maybe it is always that way. But from all I have read, and from CanCanCase's post above, after early August starts to get iffy.

John

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anan Creek

Saw my original post and figured I would write a brief report. We did the Anan Creek with Family Air Tours. This was the best part of our Alaska Cruise. We were the few people on the ship, that when we got off, could honestly say that we saw tons of bears up close.

Family Air was great, about a 3 minute van drive from the dock. The plane took about 40 minutes to get to Anan Creek. From there it was about a 1/2 mile walk on a wooden platform to get to the viewing site. We stayed for about 3 hours and saw about 10 - 15 different bears including one with two cubs and one with one. There were also tons of bald eagles very close.

If you want to see bears on your cruise then this is the place to be. We booked privately, directly with Family Air.

10. Re: Anan Creek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 05:32