We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misty Fjords Floatplane

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Misty Fjords Floatplane

We are doing the Bering Sea Crab excursion in the morning in Ketchikan and are looking for something for the afternoon. Island Wings only has a combination Glacier tour/Misty Fjords tour. We are already doing a helicopter glacier tour in Juneau. Is there a difference in glaciers? Any other recommendations for seeing Misty Fjords or should we just go on this one? Thanks for your help!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misty Fjords Floatplane

You might want to check with Southeast Aviation since they are also highly recommended for Misty Fjords flights. We went with Island Wings, but it was just the Misty Fjords flight - however, I would NOT hesitate to take this combination flight with them. The most awesome sights in AK (IMHO) are those seen from the air!! YOu're going to have a FABULOUS trip!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Misty Fjords Floatplane

I guess if it were me I would want to try to find just a Misty Fjords flight unless you love glaciers. From what I have read, the Misty Fjords flight is a "green" flight....very scenic area but not a glacier area. Since you are already going on a glacier flight in Juneau, I would try for the dedicated Misty Fjords. However, I haven't been to either, but based on what I read, that is how I would want to do it. However, if that is all you can get, then I probably would go for the combo.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Misty Fjords Floatplane

Does the combo trip include a landing on the lake where you can get out on the shore?? That was one of the highlights of our trip, so I'd definitely want to ask about that.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Misty Fjords Floatplane

We just came back from our Alaskan cruise.

The time we had at Ketchikan was just enough to do Michelle's Island Wing tour which included stopping in one of the lakes/fjords area for about 20 minutes photos.

We also had done the helicopter ride in Juneau to Taku glacier which according to the pilot was bigger and less busy than Mendenhall, we were the only ones landed there on the glacier which was hugh. Walked around for about 15 minutes and tasted pure glacial water. I am no expert on if there is difference on glaciers, but they are all marvelous if you can land on one to admire them. I think the difference maybe how big and wide and tall they are, whether they are still advancing or retreating (which most are because of the warming). They all seemed to have these bluish colors to them which added to the mystique. We've done both float plane, helicopter, 3 miles vantage point from the Millenium cruiseship at Hubbards. Love all of them.

So enjoy yourself.

5. Re: Misty Fjords Floatplane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:19