We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saxman vs. Totem Blite

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
east coast
Level Contributor
223 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Saxman vs. Totem Blite

Is there a difference between the two. We are booking the Saxman tour but I would love to simply look at the totem poles and skip other stuff to allow more time for shopping. I saw that the totem blite had 14 totem poles....how many in the Saxman Village?

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saxman vs. Totem Blite

The 24 totem poles in the Saxman Native Totem Park came from ancestral villages at Cape Fox and Tongass Island, Cat Island, and Pennock Island. This is the largest totem park in the world.

Totem BIGHT 14.

www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saxman vs. Totem Blite

Note that it is Totem Bight :-)

You can get to Totem Bight on your own using the public bus - take the bus to the end - it turns around at Totem Bight. You have an hour before the next bus comes. Figure 45 minutes to get there, just over an hour at the totems (enough time) then 45 minutes back so 2-1/2 to 3 hours max. All for $2 round trip on the bus!

John

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saxman vs. Totem Blite

The Saxman Tour and the Totem Bight tours are very different. Saxman generally allows you to see dancers, prestigious carvers in action and the totems which are in a fairly public park...meaning those of us who live here drive up there and sit on the grass, play hide and seek etc. any old time for no charge. I have heard rumors of a parking or admission fee of $3 this summer, but I've been out to the park twice already and not seen anyone to pay. So, the point is if you just want to "see" the totems, take a cab from the cruise ship dock (there is a cab stand at Mission and Tongass Ave) for a few bucks and "see" the totems as the tour will take quite a lot of time and cost $$$$. I prefer Totem Bight for guests...was there Sunday, in fact, with friends from Boise. It is a stunning setting, the clan house is free to walk around in, the bookstore is great, the walk in the woods is short and the ocean front scenery is gorgeous. There are also really nice bathrooms. The official tour is little different than a walk around with a guide. Again, no reason to pay the big bucks when you can take a cab or the local bus and see EXACTLY the same things the tours see. In fact, we sat in with the group from my friends cruise ship for free and listened to the guide!:)

4. Re: Saxman vs. Totem Blite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 09:26