We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

Am I getting my daughter's hopes up if I tell her we will see bears on our excursions the first week in June. I know it is never guaranteed, but I didn't know what the odds are at that time of year! Thanks for any info.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

Since you are posting this on the Ketchikan forum, I assume you are asking about the chances of seeing bears in Ketchikan?

Where else are you going in Alaska?

Chances are slim to none that time of year most places. Probably the best place that time of year would be Denali National Park. But multiple trips into the park (i.e. multiple days) would greatly increase your odds.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

We will be in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Tracy Arm Fjord on a cruise from 28 May - 4 June. Very disappointing to hear that, as my daughter is really wanting to see bears. This was the only time that worked for us this year, but we will return to the Denali/Anchorage area another time.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

Hi Deanna,

Keep your hopes up. We were on a day tour of Tracy Arm out of Juneau this past June and there were bear sightings, lots of whales, eagles and seals on ice flows. Our boat went close to the shore line where the bear was, so it might be a good idea to have binoculars with you. There were bears near the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau as well. Hope you see some.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 02:20
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

This is a long thread but has some good info and great pictures. The OP was on a cruise in June, rented a car in Skagway and saw bears during the drive to Emerald Lake. I too wouldn't want to get your hopes up, but thought you'd appreciate the info.

http://tinyurl.com/yckuhh5

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

Thank you...I am a glass is half full person:-) If positive thinking works, we will see lots of bears!! We are going to Emerald Lake in Skagway, doing the Mendenhall Glacier Float trip in Juneau, Floatplane and private tour in Ketchikan, so I am very hopefull. If not, we will be back at some point. Thank you all for the feedback. I use these forums for all my trips around the world and I am so grateful for everyone who takes the time to help others plan wonderful trips!! Deanna

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

We cruised in Mid June 2008 to the same ports and the only bears that we saw in Ketchikan were from the float plane in Misty Fjord, and while the pilot flew in low, and offered to land, the mother and two cubs were on their way back into the woods so we did not bother to land.

We also went all the way to Emerald Lake from Skagway, rail and road combined, but did not see any bears.

We did have a further sighting in Glacier Bay NP, but at great distance.

7. Re: Chance for Bear sightings end of May/beg June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2010, 06:17