We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gloves in early june

mt emu
Level Contributor
94 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
gloves in early june

Hello again I know you guys keep saying layers but would we need gloves in 1st week june will be on a cruise. Can we get away with cheap pretend wool ones(already have) or would we need proper waterproof ones?

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gloves in early june

Get the cheap pretend ones. I am thinking polar fleece ones for $10 that are versatile in many temperatures, tend to repel water but are not waterproof, and dry quickly. I would not waste time on wool gloves.

I sometimes use these in chill conditions until the day warms up, in wind or rain or just if it is more comfortable than bare hands. Pretend wool should be perfectly good.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gloves in early june

G'day again mtemu.

I agree with 71. I did not have any gloves on our cruise early June but could have done with them on the deck of the ship near the glaciers, and standing on the end-plate of the WPYR carriage to take photos when going over White Pass.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gloves in early june

Bring the gloves you have. You can always stick your hands in your pockets for added protection!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gloves in early june

Hey, cat, have a look at where my hands are in my avatar photo taken at Lake Louise, Alberta, ten days before our cruise. :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gloves in early june

I brought light gloves on our cruise in mid June and used them also my light winter jacket.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gloves in early june

Gloves are a great idea at the glaciers. I have gloves with open fingertips, which are great for me with my camera.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gloves in early june

I'm with Denalicat - put hands in pockets. But, of course, that is a man thing to do, not necessarily a woman thing.

Under way in the Inside Passage the wind can be fearce. My wife would always bundle up with heavy coat, scarf, and mittens. She was smart while I was dumb and cold.

Then there are those who take things to extremes such as in Ketchikan 20 years ago when I saw a woman get off a cruise ship all bundled up with earmuffs. It was the 4th of July!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gloves in early june

Saw 2 women in Anchorage at the end of June wearing full length downfilled coats with fur hoods while us folks from Wisconsin were in short sleeves.

mt emu
Level Contributor
94 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gloves in early june

Thanks so much that is great! I will do as advised and if they're not warm enough I can always resort to the pockets. That is so funny the idea that because it is Alaska it MUST be cold even when the temperature says differently. We start our trip in a few days am getting so excited.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,572 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gloves in early june

Ha ha. Just like there must be emu's at Mt Emu.

Have a great trip, mate.