We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nowhere to stay

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hxm
UK
3 posts
Save Topic
nowhere to stay

Okay, I���m heading to Alaska at the end of this month and will be travelling around for 5 weeks using the Alaska Marine Highway. I���ve spent ages planning the trip and am pretty much sorted out with hostel accommodation in places where I���m planning to spend a night or two. My only problem is that because of the schedules, I need to stay in Ketchikan for 2 nights (10 and 11 March) before the Cross Gulf trip. I haven���t had any reply to e-mails to the two hostels there and I���m getting a bit anxious because I���m travelling alone and can���t afford the B&Bs/hotels/motels. Anybody out there got any ideas?

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: nowhere to stay

Go to Metalakatla and check into their hotel. Great food especially the fresh caught salmon and halibut. Great views and walks by the shore with seals near and hundreds of eagles. Go, you'll feel wonderful after this experience. It's just outside of Ketchikan. They also have a beautiful waterfall and clear mountain lake hidden on top of one of the mountains close by. They might even take you fishing for salmon, big salmon. You can't go wrong. There are ferry boats out of Ketchikan. Enjoy.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nowhere to stay

I live in Ketchikan and I can tell you that the one youth hostel does not open until summer season. It's in the basement of the local Methodist church. Meanwhile, call the Ketchikan Reservation Service at 907-247-5337 and tell her you need basic, budget lodgings. She has dozens and dozens of options including low priced homestays. Otherwise, there is a chance of the women's shelter taking you in. It's called WISH and is in the westend of town. Good luck!

Montague, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nowhere to stay

Hi,

View not The Eagle View from the Inside !! My wife and I spent our last 2 nights in Ketchikan at Eagle View Hostel owned and controlled as in Dictatorship, harsh words, concentration type buiding of Dale Rogers. It was not a great end to our 5 weeks in Alaska.

This man, who behaves with a passion for control, anger, no warmth or compassion should not be around people. But, he even charges you for his vicous outrages of anger to guests in the presece of others. Then at night HE sits in the common room wathing TV while the convicts huddle in their rooms or bunks for which they have paid.

If you want to relax, avoid Dale Rogers and The Eagles View Hostel in Ketchikan.

Seek Shelter Elswhere,

Dennis and Arlene of PEI Canada

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: nowhere to stay

If you can find one a homestay is a good idea, my friend has done several while traveling around Alaska and all of them turn into good friendships, with the family usually keeping in contact. We Alaskans are trully nice people at heart (well, most of us), and we dont bite...hehe...

Ketchikan, AK
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: nowhere to stay

Ok, I realize that this is a very old thread, but suggesting that someone try to stay in a shelter for abused and battered women to save some money!? Are you serious rainbird? First of all, I can't imagine a more depressing stay, secondly, I'm sure that there's some one else who desperately needs a safe bed who will be denied.

Women In Safe Homes is not a B&B, nor a hostel. It certainly is not a good alternative for the budget traveler. Safe havens like these are hard to come by already, it doesn't need to become an alternative for somebody who can't afford a hotel and to suggest that is grossly irresponsible.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nowhere to stay

I appreciate your outrage, SE Lynn, but under the circumstances, I felt it was appropriate to let a woman traveling alone know about the shelter. You'll notice it was given as a last alternative. I've been on the board of WISH in the past, worked with them on fundraisers, contributed money, etc. and am a great admirer of their staff and their bright, clean facility. What I was concerned about was a woman traveling alone being stranded in Ketchikan. In the summer, the obvious lodgings are often booked solid, credit card or not, the homeless shelter is mostly for men, and it's a pretty spooky town to be stranded in with no resources. If nothing else, the shelter could have offered her a warm cup of coffee, 24 hour a day contact with great, inventive people and a phonebook to help her find a more appropriate place.

7. Re: nowhere to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 20:19