We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Watch in early June?

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Watch in early June?

It seems that peak season for seeing bears is mid July through September. Considering a bear tour during the first week of June but not sure there will be much to see. Perhaps I would have a better experience with a Misty Fjord tour?

Thank you in advance,

Sharon

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

I think I've found my answer after a bit of reading. It probably is too early for a bear watch experience that would justify the expense ( at least for me ).

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

Not sure about Ketchikan, but we saw plenty of bears while staying in Haines in June 2012.....mother and cubs.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

I wouldn't pay to see Bears in June myself. The salmon aren't running into the freshwater yet and that's what draws the bears out where they can be seen. Otherwise, they are fairly low profile and nocturnal. The best year 'round bear viewing in SE Alaska is at Fortress of the Bear in Sitka, a non-profit bear rescue that has some absolutely enormous natural habitats (a mile across each) to house the bears with viewing platforms. The bears are happy, playful, spirited and so, so fun to watch. I've been several times and never been disappointed.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Are there any option similar to the one in Sitka but in either Skagway or Ketchikan? We are not schedule to stop in Sitka.

Many thanks again,

Sharon

US
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

bumping:)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

If you are going to southcentral Alaska, you can go to the Wildlife Conservation Center near Girdwood for something similar, though with many other animals besides bears. It is fine for a stop for most people, but I greatly prefer seeing wildlife in the wild.

7. Re: Bear Watch in early June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16