We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Zip Lines

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine California
7 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Zip Lines

We are taking a Cruise to Ketchikan, Juno, and Skagway in May. I would really like to do a zip line tour but I am not sure which port is best. I would also like to do the zip lining in a port that does not have a lot of other activities that I would miss.

Thank you somuch for your help!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

You really need to determine what your activities are going to be in each port, first......take a look at the list provided by your cruise and narrow it down, discussing with your traveling group what they would like to do.......knowing which ones you are interested in, how long you will be in port and how many in your group, will help us to provide you with appropriate suggestions..........

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

There are two very different zipline companies in Ketchikan. The Alaska Canopy Adventures out at Herring Cove is in a great scenic area and is a thrilling zipline ride with multiple towers and lines. The property has a great historic sawmill, nature walk, gift shop, carving shed, reindeer, etc. It is a very nice place to spend an afternoon. The Southeast Exposure Rainforest Ropes and Zipline tour is more of a mult activity outdoor fun fest with climbing walls, bridges, ziplines, etc. Very active people, kids, etc would likely enjoy that activity more than the other where you basically strap in and ride and stroll the property. Alaska Canopy Adventures operates the zipline in Juneau as well. Only you can decide which town to do this activity in. Both Ketchikan tours require a 20-30 minute tour bus ride each way and they are not accessible by foot or public transportation, so if you go, you are locked into that activity for the duration of the group tour. I know and like the zipline folks and my family has been many times thanks to that connection (for free) but I think the tours are ridiculously overpriced for what you actually do and see. You are basically flying across the tops of green trees and might, emphasis on the might, see an eagle or a bear far off in the distance so small it would barely register. I'd rather take that $200 per person shopping for Alaskan art or books, myself, but each to his own.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

We are also considering the zipline tour. I believe the Princess Cruise uses Alaskan Canopy. There are 2 choices: Bear Creak or Rainforest. Both are the same price & same times. Sounds like your have first hand experience w/ the ziplines. Do you recommend one of these two? This will be our first zipline adventure and we are 60+ year-olds in good shape. Thanks

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

I think the Rainforest excursion includes a nice walk to the visitor center and a snack....maybe the easier of the two excursions.....or does Bear Creek walk out into the estuary? Honestly, without the full description its hard to tell. They don't do the "tours" for us when we go zipping.....we just zip.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
148 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

my family is also coming off a cruise ship in august, and I did see the Princess's zipline tours /excursions and the price they charge is NOT that far off from other zip lines that I have been too ( Catalina Island in California & on the BIG Island, HI ) so my family decided not to zip here...

as mombear states you will be among tree tops and from my experiences - zipping so fast -- you can't see anything worthy of wildlife....but if you haven't ever try it - then go for it...beware the 'hip harness can be uncomfortable if you're not use to it.

in beautiful Ketchikan - we are planning a ' walking tour of the town and visits a few totem poles 'sites' -- either Bight or Potlatch or the Heritage center?...maybe catch the fun and informative Lumberjack show? where else will I see..good looking guys in flannel with an ax - the the reviews sounds hilarious for a small fee and not much time involved .

just wondering if we could fit in a 2.5 hr kayak tour? too---anyone agree or am I planning too much for my cruise ship 7 -8 hr day there?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

Roxanne, the answer to your question depends on the TIME of day your kayaking tour is. If you can get out and about first thing in the morning, you can kayak, eat lunch, walk town and take cab to Saxman Totem Park OR do the Lumberjack Show. You will not be likely able to do all three in 3-4 hours. Saxman is just two miles from town.....quick cab ride. Lumberjack show sets a schedule each day which I will know a few days from now. It is IN TOWN, so easy to catch while walking around.

7. Re: Alaska Zip Lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:16