We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Hi People,

I recently just went Alaska with a tight budget and would like to share with you how i only spend less than $45USD(inclusive of meals) in Ketchikan and still have a fun time.

We took the blue bus from the annabelle/opp of annabelle(either is fine) to TOTEM BIGHT STATE PARK (TBSP). Make sure you know the bus interval. If i'm not wrong, it's every 30mins/1hour. The day pass is available for purchase onboard the bus for just $2. My advice is to purchase the day pass since one way already costs you $1. TBSP has NO entrance fee. Maps and description of each totem can be attained at the ranger office near the bus stop.

You can also visit POTLATCH TOTEM PARK which is just beside TBSP(less than 5mins walk).

We had lunch at ANNABELLE's FAMOUS KEG AND CHOWDER HOUSE. It was pretty good. Feel free to visit my blog for more pictures and recommendations. (about $25USD/pax)

Explored downtown Ketchikan. Took photos with the board that says Ketchikan- 'Salmon Capital of the World' and Alaska's First City. Shop at Tongass Trading Company where many of you raved about their $19.90 fleece jacket.

Tip: Before shopping, please proceed to the Ketchikan Visitor Centre to obtain a visitor guide/coupon book. It will help you save more and maybe get a free gift or two. :)

Strolled along CREEK STREET. Nice place to take lots of photos. Dolly's house looks small and touristy. Due to that, we did not go in.

If you have the visitor guide, you could also do a walking tour around Ketchikan where you may get to see salmons if you are visiting at the right season.

We ended the trip with a visit to ALASKAN FISH HOUSE. This is a MUST TRY!!! Awesome burgers and sandwiches for reasonable price. I love love it. ($10-15/pax)

For more pictures, please feel free to visit:

…blogspot.sg/2013/07/vancouver-part-4.html

Hope this helps.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Thanks for your comments and enjoyed the blog. I've been to Ketchikan before and am heading back in a few weeks and considering trying Annabelle's. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Great job! Would like to read about the rest of your trip.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Assume you were on a cruise ship and could get by cheaper than $45 by eating your meals on the ship. Last year's visit for us was $0. However, as we are doing a back-to-back version the end of this season, gives two visits to Ketchikan, and will have to break down and spend something (not meals however)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 16:56
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Thanks Suzski, Venusalberta33 for the compliments.

k2iks, well it depends how 'budget' you are. You could definitely have your meals onboard the cruise. For us, we would want to experience local food since we flew half way around the world from Singapore. Cruise food are not that fantastic for us. Some looked better than it tastes. So, we would actually spend on food in Ketchikan since there are quite a few good food places available.

I have recently blogged about Juneau on my blog : …blogspot.sg/2013/07/alaska-part-5.html

Feel free to comment in the Juneau forum and stay tuned to my blog for Skagway, Glacier Bay national park, Hubbard Glacier, whittier and Anchorage.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Not sure what you consider "local food" to be. We used to live in California and find the food here the same. In fact Anchorage has many of the same chains. You want to go half way around the world for McDonalds?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

k2iks,

Well, for me, 'local food' refers to the food that is unique or well-known for in that particular area. On of that, it also refer to the ambience and environment that i will be dining in.

Well, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. From where you're from, the food in Alaska may seem similar to you. But for me, I am not from the USA. Although i can get US food in Singapore, these food has been modified to suit local tastebuds. I am sure if you were to visit e.g. Japan on a cruise ship, you would want to eat downtown rather than onboard the cruise. You can definitely get sushi in US and you can most definitely find sushi onboard the cruise but does it taste the same?For one, the quality and origin of rice is different. And don't you want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the streets of say Tokyo.

I would feel that Ketchikan, though touristy, still has its charm. Restaurants like Alaskan Fish house is situated by the peaceful waters with decent halibut and fries. Annabelle serves the same with amazing crab and salmon chowders as well. I have been to California. I don't feel that the food is the same as Alaska. Alaska is known for its seafood like salmon and king crab. When i went to California, not a lot of food places serve king crab. Even if they do, they cost a bomb. Speaking of chowder, California(pismo beach) serves amazing clam chowder. But crab chowder and salmon chowder are rarely found in California. In Alaska, the crab and salmon chowder are relatively common. These are what i meant by local food.

Sure enough Anchorage has a lot of fast food chains. These are literally local food BUT not the 'local food' I am referring to. An e.g of local eating place would be Glacier Brewhouse. I think it is worth visiting during your cruise trip to Anchorage.

You may or may not agree with me, but from my perspective, I will spend the $ to eat at the port of call rather than onboard the cruise ship. The atmosphere, food preparation and the people around you are vastly different to me. However, if food does not really matters to you, and you are on a tight budget, I would say go ahead to eat onboard the cruise. It's personal preference. There's no right or wrong.

ft. lauderdale
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Thank you soo much for your review. I would absolutely love to hear about other ports you may have visited =)

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

Sorry, Globetrotter, I wasn't aware you were that experienced with Alaska food. Our favorite Alaska restaurant is but a few miles from here and holds its own. However, it is not typical Alaskan (for whatever that means). And, regarding king crab why would you think it any different than ordering it in California. Ours comes from the Bering Sea and is not local. And, the same price tag too. So, if you feel you can get a better meal in Ketchikan than on the ship go for it. It's your budget

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

A great report and very timely - we will be in Ketchikan in 4 weeks! We'll try your recommendations and report back.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers

In Ketchikan, local food includes a regional specialty called Halibut Olympia which is baked fish with creamy sauce and onions, panko breaded hand cut halibut that I have never seen anywhere else, and many Filipino dishes including pansit, chicken adobo and moko loko that I have not found in other states I've lived in. And if you want to get super traditional, smoked salmon variations are legion, including the legendary salmon candy, beach asparagus, berries, hooligan, and herring to name just a few.