We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Hi,

Your advice would be really appreciated, we're due to be in Ketchikan on a Friday in August between 06:00 – 13:30 with NCL.

We're in our mid-30s, first time in Alaska. We've tried looking at previous forum questions, but still can't decide.

We are trying to decide between a floatplane excursion to bear-watch and see Misty Falls or to go on the guided fishing excursion (never fished before).

Both sound great & interesting, so what do people think is the best use of our time?

Thanks in advance.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Both would likely be great, and as a fisherman i have a hard time NOT recommending the fishing trip:)

But..fish don't always cooperate, and a floatplane ride is SO cool, especially your first time! And... It's a "sure thing":) even if you dont see wildlife ( hopefully thats unlikely) you'll still get the falls and the scenery. Thats my .02

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Thanks - I think you're right, but it's a shame we can't combine the 2 somehow - if anyone knows how we could then please let us know!

Pasadena
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

We also want to go fishing at a cruise port , August 11-14, 2013. At Haines, Alaska there is 4 hour "Chilkoot Lake Freshwater Fishing" we've signed upu for. All native wild fish. It's catch and release.

Other trip that looked interesting is out of Juneau, Alaska. Salmon Sportfish for five hours.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 22:50
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

I have just the opposite reaction of MNman, I think the fishing here is the sure thing and the wildlife is iffy. I've been on bear tours, seen bears and it's a thrill, but nothing compared to the long lasting fun of catching your own salmon, halibut, etc. and/or having the catch flash frozen and shipped home for you on dry ice. That's weeks of good eating, a great photo opp, and an incredible experience. If the fishing derby's are any indication this summer, there are plenty of fish out there....pictures of huge fish in the paper all the time.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

hey, you're in Ketchikan rainbirdreader, I appreciate your local knowledge...but I was speaking in pretty general terms.

The plane ride being cool was the sure thing...wildlife is always iffy. But then again, I've been fishing in some pretty good waters and been shut out, so fishing can be pretty iffy too wherever you are.

They don't show pics of the slow fishing trips:)

Edited: 27 July 2013, 04:34
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

That's true, MNman, but we aren't the salmon capitol of the world for nothin'! When the salmon run is in, it's hard not to catch a fish!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

a buddy of mine made a trip to your area last year, did a week long rental cabin w/boat and loved it. They were able to fish at thier leisure, (I don't think there was actually much "leisure" for them!) Sounded like a pretty great trip, I might have to do the same one of these years. They did great on salmon, but couldn't get on the butts, inexperience he admits, he wants another crack at them:) How was your king season this year? With the gloomy king forecast for the kp, I'm tempted to look at some new scenery.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Not sure about shipping fish home as the OP is from London, not stateside. The catch and release thing would not turn me on as the only reason I would go is to keep and eat it. Just finished with a post on another thread regarding fying to do bear watching. It was a deHavilland floatplane. The experience cannot be compared with airline travel whatsoever. We were flying over mountain tops that appeared we were going to land. Wonderful experience and incredible scenery. We have done the those out of Ketchikan before and also Juneau and have always enjoyed them. I don't think you will be disappointed. Also, there should be one in Ketchikan that combines flying one direction and cruising the other.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Yeah, I wondered about the fish ship k2iks, but isn't that what flash freezing, FedEx and dry ice is for? We get our cheesecake that way from NYC :). Also, Promech Air has a cruise/fly option this year http://www.mistyfjordscruisefly.com/

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
167 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ketchikan: Floatplane vs Fishing

Loved the floatplane, cannot explain how good it was. Going again on Alaska cruising and doing it second time.

Later on we took plane sight seeing in Hawaii and totally disappointed.