We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Just got back and had a wonderful time. We did the Misty Fjords floatplane trip and it was beautiful, but I wanted to let people know that if you do this, you will not be seeing ice or snow capped mountains. This trip is woods and lakes. It is still gorgeous, but I was expecting snow. Just info you might want to consider.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Depends on when you do it. We did ours June 5. Plenty of snow, ice covered lakes, saw a really cool snow slide tasting out trees as we flew by

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Snow slide was taking out trees, not tasting trees!!!!!!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Dang! That would be cool to see! Especially, with a big tongue out to the side tasting the trees!! Lol.

I guess after mid July the snow is all gone.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Snow is almost always gone on Deer Mt. by July 4th but the float planes fly over even lower elevations most of the time so no snow. You need Juneau for snow capped peaks. We rarely get snow in Ketchikan in the winter....a few good storms each year for the most part.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

lens - don't stick your tongue out to taste a tree in the winter as you may lose it :-). Ketchikan is in the rain forest area so ice and snow as the rest of Alaska is not the same. Over here due to the warmer than usual summer the snow on the mountains across the bay is gone (except for the glaciers). Therefore, if one is looking for snow and ice I don't think the Misty Fjords floatplane tour would be for you.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

I really do research, but somehow I missed it. I, like a lot of people in the lower 48, was under the misconception that Alaska is covered in snow year round. I now know that it is covered in beauty 24/7, but not snow. Still a magical place.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

Beleive it or not many of the northern states, such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, northern New York, it gets colder in the winter than we do in this part of Alaska. In fact the Sierra in northern California gets more snow than we do - far more.

8. Re: Advice for first time Misty Fjords floatplaners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:18