We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing charters

Laguna Niguel
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing charters

Planning a fishing excursion when our cruise ports late next June. I seen many posts about several (AAA, Northern Lights, Seamist, etc.) of the fishing charters. Most are positive so it's hard to choose. Does anyone have experience with more than one? Any insights on differences?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing charters

Fishing charters don't vary wildly in Ketchikan. The fleet is made up of serious sport fisherman or former commercial fisherman with big sturdy boats, bait and equipment. The personalities vary, but the guys all keep an eye out on the weather and the current to try to find the best fishing spot. Personally, I would ask if they use herring for bait, but otherwise just pick one. The fish are so plentiful here that it is hard not to get a few fish, but conditions do change day to day depending upon water temps, marine traffic, etc. so plan to enjoy the outing and the fish are a bonus!

Laguna Niguel
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing charters

Thanks. I assume herring is the preferred bait.

St Louis
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing charters

We are planning on a fishing charter June 17 and heard that is not a good salmon time. Is this true and what difference does it make if the bait is herring? We are in port from 7-3pm.

Laguna Niguel
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing charters

We booked with Northern Lights. Ken says that we are hitting a very good time for King salmon. Kings run May to early July. Then other salmon types are best later... Sockeye (June to late July), Red (mid-July to mid-August) and Silver (July to Oct). So, it depends on the type of salmon you prefer. I love King. You typically don't catch as many but they run bigger.

Alaska
Level Contributor
146 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing charters

jmg1, mid-June is fine for salmon. Herring is a natural food for them, so using herring for bait is effective. Have a good time.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing charters

I tried Seamist and wanted to book the boat and bring 1 to 3 people. They all seem to want to take 6 anglers which is a joke. You'll never get any fishing in taking turns and fishing 2 1/2 hours.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing charters

You mean expect to pay for a boat ride. Guides in Florida care about their guests catching fish. It's obvious that most guides in Alaska just want your money or they wouldn't take 6 people on a short trip where you would be lucky to catch 1 or 2 fish each and that would be very unlikely.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:07
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing charters

You mean expect to pay for a boat ride. Guides in Florida care about their guests catching fish. It's obvious that most guides in Alaska just want your money or they wouldn't take 6 people on a short trip where you would be lucky to catch 1 or 2 fish each and that would be very unlikely.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:09
Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing charters

Best do your fishing in Florida. More than likely you are planning on visiting Ak. on a cruise ship. Have never done a charter while on a cruise. Before you badmouth every charter in Ak You should learn that there are differences between a short cruise ship charter and the day long charters in Alaska, and by the way they are referred to as six packs by those in the know. A very satisfied customer of numerous fishing charters in the great state of Alaska.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing charters

Fowbar- this is why captains in Homer won't do fishing charters for cruise ship passengers. They can take non-cruise people and get $300-$350 per person for an all day trip or they can get $130/person for a short trip for cruise people.

If they take you out for a short trip- that means they aren't going out again and which means they are losing money they could be making on an EXTREMELY short tourist season. If you think for a bit, you'd get that the season for tourism is quite a lot shorter in Alaska than it is in Florida.

You want to go fishing and get your money's worth, go on an all day trip. You want to go with only three people, then suck it up and rent out the whole boat. Plenty of us locals do exactly that so we don't have to fish with people who complain. And we pay the exact same price to fish as you do- so it's not rip off the tourist bull that you are talking about. I have friends with boats, and the cost of fuel plus the time it takes to get to the places where the fish are isn't cheap.

I've fished with a lot of charter companies, and the only time we took turns is when the tides were tangling lines. If you try to have everyone fish at the same time in those situations, you end up with lines tangled so much that there's no point in attempting it. I've also never trolled before- not sure if that's what you were doing. Seems more like you are here to complain than actually pass along facts for people to be able to make the decision on whether it's worth it to them.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 03:47