We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

Hi All

I have checked the forum and cant see an answer to this questions so hopefully someone here can help. We are doing a 14 day cruise from Sitka to Ketchikan in July 2015 (this part is booked already). At the end of this we have to get to Anchorage to hook up with the next part of our trip - Brooks Falls. We get off the cruise on a Saturday and plan to spend the day in Ketchikan - then fly to Anchorage from Ketchikan on the Sunday. Then on the Monday we head towards Brooks Falls. Looking at the flights from Ketchikan to Anchorage the best option for us appears to be the flight that leaves around 9.26am (daylight saving time). It has three stops on the way - Wrangell, Petersburg and Juneau.

Has anyone done this flight? And what is it like? And lastly how often is this flight cancelled/delayed due to weather - as I am a bit concerned about missing our flights from Anchorage to Brooks Fall on the Monday morning.

Thanks

Kiwi

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

I've taken the "milk run" several times, and don't expect it cancels very often, especially not in summer. I wouldn't worry about it. Of course June 2015 is past the scheduling window for Alaska Airlines, so precise timing might very well change between now and then.

I find the flight enjoyable. Get a window seat on the right hand (starboard) side.

Alaska
Level Contributor
147 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

That's a flight that locals try to avoid because of the many stops, and the length it adds to the flight time. We've seen it all before! However, it is almost never cancelled due to weather, and if it works for you time-wise and you would enjoy seeing the local scenery, then take that flight by all means. The seating advice given by ibgardyloo is excellent. I wouldn't have thought of that. The flight time between Wrangell and Petersburg is just minutes, and the jet flies low, (well, low compared to normal cruising altitude) so you'll be able to see all kinds of things you wouldn't see ordinarily.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

Those of us who live in Ketchikan do that flight or similar all the time. It's called the "Milk Run" because it makes so many stops for freight.. It is a miserable flight in that you are stuck on the jet and get no food service until the Juneau-Anchorage leg because the hops are so short. Pack lots of snacks and water. I would not worry about the weather at all this time of year. You'll get there...it just won't be fun. If money is no object, you can also fly to Seattle and then to Anchorage, which is a much more relaxing day because you get a nice meal at the airport before you fly direct to the city. We used to do that all the time for virtually the same price as the milk run, but in recent years Alaska Air closed that option to us.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

Thanks All for the info. I am not too worried about the hopping from one airport to another - just part of the trip. Thanks for the seating suggestion plus the one about the water and snacks. We are so looking forward to our trip next summer - the first time in 20years we will be travelling without the kids - we won't know ourselves.

cheers

Kiwi

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

There is very little information about the Ketchikan airport online and there are very few flights to choose between. We flew out of Ketchikan on July 9th and didn't have a clear idea about how to get to the airport. The airport is accessed by ferry and the terminal is north of town and not at the same place as the Alaska Marine Ferry. If you are doing the airport ferry on your own, wait to purchase your ticket on the airport side where there is a manned booth. The ticket machines on the Ketchikan side wouldn't take a Kiwi credit card and mis-charged our American credit card. The charge for the ferry is $5. On the airport side, it is uphill for about 1/4 mile once you land. This is not difficult with carry-on size luggage but the larger the luggage, the more challenging the ramp. Returning fishermen were doing it with large boxes of frozen fish so it is not impossible. There is a gift shop and snack bar after security.

6. Re: Questions re flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:16