We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

I'm going to be on a cruise ship that will be stopping in Ketchikan on approximately 24 July for one day. I would like to do some shore fishing for salmon if possible. I will have a travel rod and reel with me and an assortment of lures but I'm not opposed to buying whatever lures may be necessary to have a successful trip. I don't intend on keeping any fish I just want to catch and release. Can someone give me some advice on where to fish within a reasonable distance from the cruise ship? I had a cousin that did this last year and said he caught a lot of fish (and released them all) but I believe he snagged most of them with a lure that had treble hooks. I was reading in the Alaska fishing regulations that if you were fishing in the Ketchican River you must use a lure with a single hook only. Is there an area close to the cruise ships that allows treble hooks to be used on your lures? I would rather catch them by the mouth if they are biting this time of year. Any suggestions from the locals or others with experience catching fish near the cruise ship docking area would be greatly appreciated.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

I don't have any knowledge of the Ketchikan fishery, sorry. But you certainly don't want to be doing any snagging, even if it's legal, as it is in most saltwater fisheries. Snagging, and the resulting injuries to the fish, make it very much a catch and KILL sport.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some spots to toss a few lures and entice a few biters.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

We don't have a river in Ketchikan with that name and sport fishing near the docks is prohibited much of the year. I would have to check on your dates. You see locals catching dog salmon from the downtown bridge from time to time but no sport in that....they are literally dying as they approach their fresh water spawning grounds later in the summer. Haven't noticed any fishing lately. Most people go to a local harbor and rent a skiff. I believe there is a new rental outfitter at Bar Harbor about two miles from the dock. I will check. Most locals go to Knudson Cove Marina about 15 miles north of Downtown for day trips.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

Thank you rainbirdreader for the information, I'll look into fishing the areas you mentioned.

5. Re: Self guided fishing in Ketchikan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:17