We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kodiak in august--another query

maunawili, hawaii
1 post
Save Topic
kodiak in august--another query

Thanks Erin for your posting--I found it helpful as well as I'm sure the original poster did. I'm looking for a good guide for salt water charters out of Kodiak, as well as a fishing lodge on the island. I've fished in Ketchikan, in Sitka and on the Kenai, some on my own, some at lodges with charter boats.

I'd like to put together a trip for my nephew and myself to combine roadside/stream fishing as well as salt water boat fishing. If there is a lodge that really concentrates on fishing (rather than hunting) and does a good job I'd love to know about it. I would also appreciate a place that serves as much local food as possible. Any strong recommendations about folks that provide good service, good guiding would be very welcome. I know Alaska's rough side and have had a few experiences I'd rather not repeat. thanks for any comments or direction.

Laurie

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: kodiak in august--another query

acgal -

First let me apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have been travelling for work and my laptop was slower than Moses on wireless.

I will have to do some checking to find out if there are any road system lodges that you could stay at. There are a lot of B&B's and, frankly, there is so much available fishing on the road system that there aren't a lot of lodges in town. There are some awesome charter companies though, for ocean fishing. Chazman Charters is a great one that operates out of Kodiak city. He can be reached at 907-486-6930. Also, if you wanted a guide for the road system fishing, Alex Panamaroff is a great fishing guide. He can be reached at 907-539-5646.

If you want to get out of Kodiak and stay at a lodge in one of the villages I can give you the names of some good lodges as well. They usually combine river fishing with ocean fishing and then throw in sight seeing as well. Larsen Bay, Karluk and Old Harbor are the three villages with the biggest lodges.

Just about anywhere you stay in Kodiak should be pretty okay. We don't have the massive amounts of tourism that the rest of the state has so our operators have to be held to a pretty high standard.

Check out the business listings at www.kodiak.org and if you find anything that strikes your interest, please feel free to post here or pm me and I'll tell you what I know about them.

Erin

Pittsburgh Pa
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: kodiak in august--another query

Hello, I saw your post and had my own questions. You seem to knowsome stuff about Kodiak. Our daughter just got stationed at the USCG base and we need info on how to get from Washington area to Kodiak. It seems that a ferry from Homer is the way to go. She has her own car and 2 beagles to bring along. Will the ferry allow dogs? How do we get to Homer by Car? Thanx Dave K.

3. Re: kodiak in august--another query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 07:17