We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bear Viewing Area 2011

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
New Bear Viewing Area 2011

May be an alternative for future bear viewing trips in Alaska:

adn.com/2010/05/03/1262052/another-prime-bro… .

New Jersey
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New Bear Viewing Area 2011

I am horrified that the Alaskan people would allow this to happen. I had the pleasure of viewing the bears at Lake Clark last year, and can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot a creature that trusts you. It reminds me of pedofiles... Get the child to trust you and then defile them. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New Bear Viewing Area 2011

This is horrifying. I skimmed portions of the article at the link, but found the content so upsetting that I stopped reading. The practice is completely unfair to the animals and it sickens me to believe anyone would want to participate. It's more target practice than hunting. Habituating ANY animal to the presence of humans, only to slaughter them later in the year is completely unacceptable.

We're visiting Alaska in August and were so disappointed that we couldn't afford a bear viewing excursion. Now I'm relieved. I would never want to support this type of activity.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: New Bear Viewing Area 2011

"Now I'm relieved. I would never want to support this type of activity"

Sorry, but you have the wrong attitude. If no one went bear-viewing, nothing would ever be done to provide the bears with safe, non-hunting areas because no one would care. Many people think that grizzlies are just vicious monsters, so who cares if they're killed? But as more and more people go on these trips and find out that the bears are usually non-aggressive and are fascinating to watch, more and more people will be outraged that hunters are allowed in the very same areas to kill them.

With bear-viewing tours growing in popularity, I hope there will come a point when the government of Alaska notices all the tax dollars coming into its coffers, and realize that something needs to be done to separate the viewing areas from the hunting areas. And that dolts who think that shooting habituated bears is somehow a "sport", will get the kind of fines or even jail time that they deserve.

14. Re: New Bear Viewing Area 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 05:15