We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

We are planning to visit the state fair in Palmer on our upcoming 2-week family trip in August, but I have no idea how much time to allot. I've read the online reviews and think we'll enjoy browsing the oversized vegetables and booths of local items for sale (not so interested in musical performances), but I haven't seen any mention of how long people usually spend there. Our kids are 12 and 6, and we'll be going on a Sunday, if that makes a difference.

5 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

If the weather is nice, the fair can pack out on the weekend. So plan on some crowds.

I love our fair. I'll be buying a season pass and will probably go each evening after work. So you could spend a lot of time there.

But, for a minimum? Hmm.... Figure at least four hours to wander around and see it all. Maybe 5.

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

We are going to the State Fair to vist local/native booths and ofcourse the produce (that is our favorite). I am traveling with two children also (3 & 11yrs old). I plan on spending the whole day and RV'ing overnight at the fair. I planned it to be a break for the kids, maybe ride some rides. We will be there Monday 26th.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

FYI: If you pre-buy your tickets you can save a little money:

www.alaskastatefair.org/site/2014-buy-tickets

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

When we did the fair (also by RV, camping on site), we arrived late afternoon and stayed for probably 4 hours. We (hubby and me, no kids) walked the aisles of vendors and visited the exposition hall where the animals and produce contest was staged. We didn't do any of the musical acts, nor rides. We would have stayed a little longer had a thunderstorm not rolled in.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?

Been twice in our past trips. Each time we would arrive around 11am, wonder around for ahwile...eat some lunch..wonder some more... no rides or music shows for us. we did watch the lumber jack show and another i cant recall. We'd usually had enough about 4-5pm. Just all depends on how much you like to "wonder".

Reply to: Alaska state fair - how much time to allot?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palmer