We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities on the peninsula

Which Soldotna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
activities on the peninsula

I've lived in Soldotna is the summer for 20 years. The peninsula is a special place. Yes, the best salmon fishing is on the Kenai river, but even if your not a fisherman there is plenty to do and you can do it cheaply. You don't need a guide for the Kenai although it may be more effecient if you're limited for time. Near the airport in Soldotna are public fishing areas. Ask at the local fishing shops they will be happy to direct you. Clamming is really fun for everyone. Get a tide table at the fishing shops or gas station for free. -2 tide is o.k. -3 or -4 is best. People on the beach are friendly and can show you how. Pick up a clam shovel and a pair of gloves at Fred Meyers. You can get a frosting bucket from their bakery for $5 if they have any. Clam Gulch is a favorite but there are many spots between Kenai and Anchor Point. Usually you can find someone to clean them at a roadside stand and the beach entrances. Licenses are about $10 a day. If you clean them yourselves throw a little corn meal in the bucket after you get them with a little water. It helps clean the sand out.

It's worth a stop in Nilichik to see the view from the Russian church. It's on the hill just before you get into town. It's spectacular in July when the Fireweed are in bloom.

Don't miss the Norman Lowell Gallery near Anchor point mile marker 160.9. It's an amazing place tucked in the woods. Even if you're not into galleries, stop. It's free and you will be amazed.

Homer is terrific. If you have the time there is great sea kayaking in the bay. Take the ferry over to Cordova. It's cheap and you'll see alot of sealife. The dock area is great for people and boat watching. If you want to go fishing check out the dock area first in the afternoon. Watch the tourist fishing boats come in. If all they're bringing in are chickens (small halibut)the fishing may not be good or they are going to the same spot day after day. Talk to the guests as they leave. it will give you a much better feel of who to book with the next day. Crews often change from year to year as does the fishing. If you want a trophy fish you may want a different type of trip than a group going for small fish. Personally the best eating fish are in the 20-30 lbs range. The really big ones make a good picture but don't taste as good (stringy). The smaller boats with 6 or fewer guests tend to be more accomidating. If you need a full bathroom you may want a bigger boat. It's a long day on the water. Bring layers and your own necessities.

The Homestead restaurant in Homer is fine dining and is great. You will need a reservation.

The best fish and chips in Homer are at Land's End.

If you're a boat enthusist check out the Katchemak gear shed. It's the locals place for boating gear and a fun place to poke around.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: activities on the peninsula

Hi Kenaisally

I did a trip around there in early September 08. I took the road around Skilak Lake and it was marvelous. For an artist/photographer this was a special place. For anyone who hasnt driven that road, its unsealed and when I was there full of potholes, mud and ruts but there had just been heavy rain so perhaps its not always that bad. I just took it quietly and all was fine. One special moment was when I stopped on top of a hill (going south on the right side) overlooking a small lake. Because of the weather the light was dark and moody and yet a path of sunlight brightened the lake area. As I stood there I heard the lonely mournful erie sound of a single loon and if that wasnt reward enough it was followed by the yip yip yip of a coyote.

I visited Homer and was just in time to be able to attend a couple of the First Friday art shows at the galleries.

I visited Norman Lowell's gallery and this dear old man came to great me, shook my hand and said "Welcome, I am Norman Lowell" What a great personality and even more an amazing artist. His paintings are just breathtaking and a visit to this gallery is a must for anyone with even the slightest interest in art. Any major city in the world would be proud to have that gallery and yet here it is in a quiet area in Alaska. I came home with a DVD of his work so I can share it with others here in New Zealand. He is an absolute inspiration.

I also went to Nilichik and saw the Russian Church you mentioned and on up to Captain Cook State Recreational area where I was lucky to have a mother moose and her twins stop on the road and was able to watch them for a while.

A visit to the Kenai is well worth your time.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: activities on the peninsula

>>Nilichik

For those not familiar and trying to find this town on a map it is actually Ninilchik.

John

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities on the peninsula

You're right John. I was typing to fast. Thanks for the correction.

4. Re: activities on the peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 18:17