We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish processing in Soldotna

Which Soldotna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Elizabeth...
2 posts
Save Topic
Fish processing in Soldotna

Going to Soldotna in mid August 2013 for a 7 day guided salmon trip. This is the second time for me. Two years ago it cost me approx. $450 for two 50 lb. boxes of salmon that we caught and brought back home. It was a mix of smoked, lox and fillets. It was perfectly done, but this year I am looking for the same service at a much lower cost. The vendor was Ed's Kasilof Seafoods.

9 replies to this topic
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

I use Echo Lake out on kalifnorsky beach rd. reasonable for freezing and packing, i didnt have any smoked so i dont know about that.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 13:11
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

Followup ?, did the 450 include shipping home your fish?

Just thinking... But if you were really happy with the finished product last time, im not sure if its an area id be looking to cut corners. The business is pretty competitive up there, so i kind of doubt you'll be able to find a "much lower cost", especially without running the risk of a lesser quality end product.

3. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 05:28

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

Where are you going into and out of? Are you going to be in Anchorage at all- I'm assuming so since that's where everyone come into before heading down to the Kenai Pen. by whatever means. If you have a couple days after your trip in Anchorage, I'd look into getting your fish smoked at Alaska Sausage and then taking it all back as extra luggage in fish boxes with gel packs. AK Sausage does lox (which they spell lachs because they are German) for $6.45/lb including vac pack.

https:/…2011EngFISHRackCard.pdf

Their vacuum packing prices are not awesome, though- I wouldn't get that done there. But in the busy season, they don't have a day turn around for getting the smoking done, so if you are only going to be in Anchorage long enough to fly out, it's not a possibility if you want to take your fish with you rather than have it shipped.

Also, you can go 24 hours with your fish in fish boxes with gel packs and not worrying about it. My parents took two 45 lb boxes with them for only $90 (boxes, gel packs and airline fees).

Cape Elizabeth...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

The $450 was just for the processing of 2 boxes @ 50 lbs ea. Each box counted for one of our luggage items since it was not over the weight limit.

Northampton...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

"Question" If prices are based on incoming weight you should bring the fish already fileted? Looks like you would save 50%.

Soldotna, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

I know this is late for you, but hopefully anyone else looking can find this useful. Peninsula Processing and Smokehouse in Soldotna has the best quality vacuum packing on the Kenai. www.great-alaska-seafood.com/processing.htm

Prices are based on incoming weight, so if you want to save a few dollars and don't know how to fillet, all you have to do is gut and cut the head off to save money.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

When processing Salmon, do they remove the pin bones?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish processing in Soldotna

My experience Rene, is no.

I had to "research" pin bones to be sure. This is what I found . . .

"Before cooking a salmon fillet, it’s always a good idea to check it for pin bones. These tiny 'floating' bones aren’t attached to the fish’s main skeleton, and they remain hidden in the flesh after the fish is filleted. Some fish mongers remove them for you, but some don’t. Because pin bones can be difficult to see, the best way to locate them is by touch."

Reply to: Fish processing in Soldotna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted