We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

Which Tianjin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

We will be departing from a cruise at Tianjin cruise port (Regent Seven Seas) and have a private driver to take us directly to Beijing Airport for a flight to USA (via Hong Kong change of plane). Will we be OK with a flight leaving Beijing at 11:05am ? I wasn't sure how long the drive was from port to airport.

Thank you.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

Flight leaving at 11 am, that means you'll have to check in by 8 am. The drive is probably 2.5 hrs. So you need to start your drive at about 5:30 am.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

Thanks. I was thinking we would be OK if we checked in by 9:00, maybe 2 hours isn't enough time. I didn't realize how long it would take to get to the airport.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

For an international flight 3 hrs is more cautious (unless you are flying first class and don't have to wait in line with the masses).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

It is a long drive. Tianjin is a different city. And traffic can be quite bad.

Don't know where your cruise is coming from, I assume China so that the visa is not an issue.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

You didn't say when you dock in Tianjin. Aiming to be at check-in 2 hrs before the flight is reasonable. If you are driving in the early morning the traffic is not so bad but you can be slowed down because of fog.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

thanks all, I'm going to go with a later flight to be safe and not rushed.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,615 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

You need to account for all time, not just the road trip. Allow the following:

Disembark procedures/time: 1 hour

Road trip Tianjin Port to PEK: 2.5 hours

Airport check-in with enough time before departure: 2 hours

Cushion for unexpected issues on the way: 0.5 hours

That's 6 hours I would plan on, from scheduled arrival in port to scheduled departure of flight from PEK. In other words, if your ship is scheduled to arrive at Tianjin Port at 08:00, I would schedule an outbound flight from PEK no earlier than 14:00. If you had planned an overnight in Hong Kong and then leave for USA the following day, this should be no problem. If you are trying to connect to a Hong Kong-USA flight leaving later on the same day you arrive into Tianjin Port, you are making a big gamble unless it's late at night..

Edited: 17 April 2013, 22:21
8. Re: Driving time from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing Airport ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:16