We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

Sacramento...
8 posts
Save Topic
Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

I'm interested in day trips out of Sapa. Are there quality mountain bikes available? I'd rather not book in advance with an outfit, if possible.

Ban Ho Village
Mountains, National Parks, Motorcycle Trails, Forests, Valleys
Hang Da Village
Mountains, Hiking Trails, Motorcycle Trails, Forests, Valleys
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

Hi Charleee,

By the looks of your picture, I don't now if you are going to find 'quality' mountain bikes. We have a pretty serious mountain biker at our office, and he has said that for general cruising and some light trail riding if you find a bike it should be ok, but don't expect too much.

However, the challenge might be to find a rental bike. You could potentially go through a tour company, and maybe work something out with them, but rentals, we are not exactly sure where.

Good luck, and safe and happy travels,

Footprintters

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

I have not seen quality bikes in Vietnam yet. Yet I am certain they exist, but perhaps not for rent. If you can find them for rent they may not even be in the city you want to use them.

The bikes I have been on have been low quality Chinese or Vietnamese products.

A quality bike (mountain or road) would set you back at least $2-3,000, and that amount is huge in Vietnam.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

Forgot to add that the bikes I have seen have ALL been in hopeless disrepair.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

First, to find a quality moutain bike in Sapa is very difficult.

Second, cycling in Sapa road is very dangerous. If you're only biking in the center town it's okay but when you want to visit Muong Hoa village or go to some other village, you must be careful with the car and the truck. They drive very fast and maybe you can't control your bike.

So let's think about it. some safe road that you can go cycling is Sin chai village, Cat Cat village, Ta Phin village

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

My husband, who is a serious mountain bike rider and racer in Australia, recently did a 6 hour mountain bike tour with a guide organised through Topas Ecolodge (where we were staying). Although he enjoyed it thoroughly and got to see some great places and villages, it really isn't anything like mountain biking back home and the bikes really aren't what you would call "quality". Though, at least for the serious mountain biker, its a chance to get on the bike so as not to suffer to badly with withdrawal systems!

Edited: 29 October 2011, 10:09
6. Re: Mountain bike rentals in Sapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:21