We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sapa

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
goldcoast
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
sapa

We are looking to go to Sapa from Hanoi can we fly or only go by train, also what's in Sapa to do. We were only going to be staying 1 night, Is it really worth it? or should we give it a miss till next time?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sapa

Hi Amanda, Sapa was one of the highlights of my trip we only stayed one night we did two small treks one on the day we arrived and one on the day we left we stayed at Sapa Boutique Rooms. Pete the owner organized our train tickets and our treks. Whilst it was alittle bit more expensive it was well worth it for piece of mind as he has someone in Hanoi but you on the train and someone at the other end to pick you up. If you have any other questions PM me. Regards Lizzy

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sapa

You can rent a helicopter at great cost to take you to near Sapa. If you haven't budgeted for that you can take the overnight train or bus.

The minimum needed for Sapa is a night there on the train, a night in a hotel or homestay in Sapa and a night on the train back. That's the minimum. An extra day or two is recommended. Sapa is known for its incredible scenery of terraced rice paddies and valley vistas and for its various ethnic minority people.

If you have only one night, its not possible.

goldcoast
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sapa

Hi Lizzy, thank you for your info, with Sapa is the hiking hard? We are between 50-60, did you go by train there and back, ( 2days) and spend only 1 there. How many days do you think we should stay?. after Sapa we are going to Halong Bay 2 days did you enjoy it

goldcoast
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sapa

Hi Tecalli, thankyou for your info

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sapa

I went there by night train. Our guide said that this is the best way from Ha Noi to sapa. There is no flight to this town. It is a beautiful town in mountain as pictureque. I had 3 days there and saw tribe villages by easy trek.

california
Level Contributor
790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sapa

Hello.

Just came back from Sapa this morning. and lucked out with good. warm weather and afforded us the opportunity to see the stunning beauty of Sapa. My husband is 70 yrs old with hip ^ knee problems so hard trekking is out of the question. I am 63 and not in tip top condition. We managed to trek Cat Cat village. walked slowly and took motorbike on the way back...PAID 25.000VND. We also took motorbike as passengers to visit Lao Chai to Tavan. Check with an agency was being charged $35 per person, walked next door at Son Ha or Son Pa hotel and got to arranged the tour for a total of 300.000 vnd for 2 people. We find prices vary tremendously and must do your research to find out the going rate. TA forum has been very helpful to us. Others, did not have same luck with weather as we met others who did not get to see the beauty of Sapa being covered with fog and very little visivility. Good luck!

goldcoast
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sapa

Thanks David for your update and info

goldcoast
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sapa

thankyou Youngatheart, for your info, it sounds like you had a great time. Im reseaching lots about Sapa, cant wait to go.. Where did you stay?

california
Level Contributor
790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sapa

Dear Amanda D,

We stayed at Sapa Eden Hotel and had a Junior suite, with view of the valley. I'm glad to have the extra seating and spacious room, and Mr Dung, the manager is very nice and helpful. My only complain about the hotel is their old, dingy looking bath towels.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
885 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sapa

Youngatheart,

Good to hear you had a successful trip to Sapa, had read your queries on this forum and sounds as though you were able to adapt your travelling to enable you to both experience it, despite somewhat reduced mobility.

Maybe you could write a trip report to help encourage others to not be daunted by the 'trekking' focus.