We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

london
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Hi,

I was planning on taking the overnight train from Hanoi, one night in Sapa hostel/hotel and then back on overnight train...

But for $145AUD I can buy an organised trip

This may be better because

A. I am travelling alone so would makes organising simpler

B. I am worried about transferring from the train station to Sapa alone

However, this trip is all trekking and home stay, would I be missing out not having an evening in Sapa? Also I would say I'm normal fit (?) if that makes sense, how intense is the trekking??

If I could choose I'd want the trip but trekking one day and back in the evening?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

C.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Lizzie, it has to be said that the 'trekking' on most of the standard tours is little more than walking downhill to a village and (if you so desire) being transported back up again by road to Sapa, either the same day or after a night at a homestay followed by another undemanding trek. Not exactly gruelling stuff.

There are other, more demanding all-inclusive tours, there are custom-made ones for the very fit and hardy, and there are DIY options where you just book your train tickets and hotel and do as little as much as you want for as many days as you want. There are plenty of guides in Sapa if you need their services.

As for missing out on an evening in Sapa, that would amount to little more than having a meal and a drink or two - at your hotel if they offer such things, or at a restaurant/bar.

The vast majority of visitors take a 2 day/3 night tour in which almost everything is included: 2 overnight train journeys, transportation from the station in Lao Cai to Sapa and back, a 'trek' and a night in a hotel or homestay.

Just do what you feel is right for you.

Mentioned in this post
Lao Cai
Lao Cai
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Just book the train tickets by yourself for saving money and book hotel directly one day before you are going to Sapa.

Trekking: you can arrange it when you are in hotel with local price and large choice tours you can do as your expectation.

Have a good trip!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Hi,

Most of trekking tours in Sapa will offer travelers with either night at homestay or night at hotel. It will be chosen with your like. 145 AUD for an organised trip that you have mentioned is a group tour that is inclusive of train tickets, transfer, meal, trekking tour and 1 night at hotel 2 star, guide so on. The price for a private tour for 1 person will be higher. But I think that joining a group tour will be fine for you as you are alone. The transfer from Lao Cai to Sapa will be a shuttle bus sharing with other guests. It is not really that all tours only offer with homestay. You can stay at Hotel after 1 day trekking to village. The main reason is why the price for a group tour is always cheaper than a private tour is because you will share services with other people for a group from 10-15. And the hotel will add extra charge for single room used if you do not want to share your room with another.

Mentioned in this post
Lao Cai
Lao Cai
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

AUD 145 is enough to get a good package tour for 3n2d to sapa, any travel agent can organize this tour with this budget. book package is safe way coz u tarvel alone. good luck!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Tour Sapa 2 days and 3 nights is very easy to organize the trip. You can joy with the group from hanoi. There will be transportation from your hotel to the train station and you will share the services with other people. You can buy private tour but I think that Joining group tour is fine for you. It helps you to save money.

Have a good choice.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

$145AUD is enough money for your to buy an organized tour. You will not worry about trip because it is arranged well done.. Or Sapa tour is so very easy to arrange, you can book train ticket by yourself or via some website:www.livitrans.com; www.vetau24h.com....and book hotel Sapa online, sometimes it saves money...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

I think it comes down to if you want to have some company on the visit or you prefer to travel alone.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Arrival at the station early morning is a little daunting for everyone as its dark, strange and crowded. But everyone is in the same boat so to speak and Vietnam is a safe country. As already said, the trekking can be hard if you choose it to be but most treks from Sapa are walks really. If you know how far it is, that's a good indication of how difficult as the easier walks are close by. Sapa by night isn't that exciting, we were in bed by nine! It's been on the tourist trail for a long time now and isnt as remote or uncivilised as the tourist companies sometimes have you believe so if you want to go it alone, it will be fine.

Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

Is end of October/ beginning Nov a good time to be in this region ?

10. Re: 2 days 3 nights, alone or with group from Hanoi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2012, 12:05