We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria train - can you sleep?

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria train - can you sleep?

We will be staying at Victoria Sapa and so have booked the Victoria train. We will have the cabin all to ourselves. I understand from many people that it is difficult to sleep on the train journey to and from Sapa. The Victoria train is purpose to be the best. For those who have taken it, can you sleep on the train?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

DNLs_mum, I have taken the Victoria train several times recently. As I frequently travel to Sapa, I am familiar to all conditions and I have no problem sleeping on the train. But I am talking on experiences of my customers. Many of them sleep very well on the train and the other half don't sleep well on the train. Most kids sleep better on the train than elders. The carriage is very nice, very clean especially the bathroom is taken care of the whole journey. This is the only carriage that offer service on the train. However, this carriage is attached on the same normal train, the same railway. The good thing with Victoria is being the last carriage of the train so it is a little bit less noisy, just a little bit. Also because it is private, there's no nobody walk in/out, no coffee girls call and knock your door during the journey. I found most people sleep better on the journey back, possibly because they are more tired after the walk in Sapa. A small tip is to order the cabin in the middle of the carriage which is always less noisy than the cabin on the two ends. Nevertheless, this is an experience and I hope you and your family will be fine with it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

Thanks! I am just wondering if I should get motion sicken pills and maybe ear plucks too for the family to help them sleep better! :)

Edited: 08 May 2013, 12:43
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

With the Victoria head to the dining car for a nightcap before bedtime. That usually helps me sleep well. The Victoria is the same train as the other companies that go to Sapa, so its the same motion and sound as the other cars. But, its a lot more comfortable and a lot cleaner. And with the carriage to yourself you wont be as cramped. I don't think you will need motion pills. The Victoria is actually a really nice trip, and the ability to go to the dining car and relax before bed adds to the journey being enjoyable.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

I didn't sleep very well on the trip, which I believe left the station around or just after 9 or 10 pm. It was noisy and the soft sleeper wasn’t very soft. Arrived at Lao Cai station in the dark. Finally negotiated a ride and was off to Sapa just before day break.

On a side-note, Lao Cai is an interesting town and probably worth a night’s stay. There were plenty of cheap, new hotels and the town was bustling. Regards,

Richard

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

All the sleeper cars are the same... very little difference. Simply take good earplugs with you and perhaps a mild sleep seditave and you will have a good rest.

Owee58

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

We all slept well on the way to Sapa but on the way back not so well the train seemed to stop and start - so jerked / jolted a lot. Due to this myself and my son were rather ill on the return journey. We took ear plugs and honestly they didn't help much.

Remember you don't have a lot of room in the carriages so if you have large suitcases leave them in Hanoi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

The train in Vietnam is different from train in your country, older , slower and not as modern as train in your country. But no worried about the Victoria Train, it is the most luxury train, more comfortable and cleaner than other train from other companies. A bit of noisy from the machine but in general, nothing make you lose your sleep!

Australind...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

Now, the Victoria Sapa and Train could offer you separately services, you could book Victoria Train without Victoria Sapa hotel. At last time, if you want to stay at Victoria Train, you must to stay at Victoria Sapa hotel. But now it is flexible, it is more convenient.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

I am a person that gets travel sick quite easily in many forms of travel. On the trip up I was on a top bunk and did get an unsettled feeling. Trip home much better on the bottom bunk.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria train - can you sleep?

Thanks. Looks like I better give my older boy motion sickness meds. He gets travel sick easily and we"ll probably need him to sleep in the upper bunk as he"ll be sharing the cabin with grandpa and grandma.